Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 09, 2020 12:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: reproduction dials
PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 6:02 am 

does anyone produce a dial copy if I have the original that should be replaced

can they take a picture of it, clean it up and reprint it on a new thin plastic dial

thanks ron

Post subject: Re: reproduction dials
PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 10:59 am 

Radio Daze does great dials.

Can send them the original and I believe they reproduce from scratch. I have two in this Den with their dials one on white plastic and the other on SRBP 'orange' phenolic.

Only thing is you have to be patient as they have a large workload so expect to wait a couple of months. You don't say what the radio is but they may already have the artwork and so just need to print it off.

Gary

Post subject: Re: reproduction dials
PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 11:00 pm 

A little belated reply but I just saw your posting.
I had the same problem when the letters of the dial glass got erased during cleaning the glass. I reproduced it in a different way which does not look original but it does look excellent.
I downloaded a copy of the dial from the internet and took it to a copy store that specialized in graphic arts to have them add some letters which were missing in the downloaded copy. I had them reproduce the dial on a paper and in two different letter colors just for me to compare and chose later on. We did it after they showed me a number of colors and how they looked on paper. I then took the copy with the color of my preference to a second photocopy shop where I had them enlarge it to the exact dimensions of the dial glass. Then I told them to copy the first photocopy on a clear plastic sheet which then I had them copy it on a couple of plastic sheets of different colors. I chose the one that I liked, I set it on the back of the blank dial glass and secured it by taping its perimetry. I did not want to copy the sample of the graphic arts store on the final product because it was on a white paper which would have shown through on the final sample causing the letters to look faded.

But you have another option, cheaper than what Radio Daze will be, and that is a store that does pictures on glass and porcelane, of course, you will have to bring them a paper copy of the dial.