Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 3:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thin Masonite
PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 12:27 am 

Hi all:

I assume I am chasing my tail here. I searched the forum and found one thread about this subject that did not have any good answers in it. I'm looking for some authentic looking (I.E.) Masonite hardboard that is thinner than 1/8 inch. I think the stuff is out there, as I have seen it as backing in picture framing applications, but I cannot find it.

A lot of these plastic radios have Masonite back covers that snap in with those little metal snaps. I have a dozen back covers from old thrown out plastic radios, all made of Masonite, and thicknesses range from .08" to .15", with 1/8" being the most common, and .1 inch a close second.

I tried some 1/8 inch, and the little snaps will not reach through it. Yes, I could make it out of 1/8 inch and use screws, but it makes it stick out the back of the cabinet a little bit and looks tacky.

I know this is probably futile, but I thought I would ask. I tried running some through the planer, but it is too thin. I tried putting a backer board under it, but the Masonite is too slick and the rollers won't pull the backer board along with the Masonite. I guess my next trick is going to be trying to stick this stuff to a backer board with some veneer adhesive and hope it will pull apart, but I suspect this will lead to disaster.

Sure wish one of you guys would say, "oh yeah, here's where you get it".

Don't hurt to dream.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Thin Masonite
PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 12:33 am 

1/8" is the thinnest I know of that is commonly available at lumber yards, etc. If you can't find it online, you probably can't get it. I would not even think of running masonite thru my surface planer. It will kill the knives unless they are carbide.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 12:38 am 

Yep. About what I've been finding as well. I was not aware that it was bad for planar knives though.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 12:49 am 

Known as Craft Hardboard. Sold in ART stores.

Google [1/8" hardboard for ART projects}

Also [1/8" Masonite sheets]

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 12:59 am 

Hi Chas!

Yes, I can get 1/8 inch. I have it on hand. I need something that is thinner. .085 inches to be exact.

I knew it was a pipe dream. My latest plan is: I know a guy who has a 48 inch belt sander. I'm going to get in touch with him and see if he can sand it down for me.

No big deal. I knew this thread was a long shot. I think it is best to let it die an honorable death.

Take care

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 1:57 am 

I have a radio that's missing a back. I think I might try this stuff. It's cheap enough.
https://www.taskboard.com/online-store/TB-1-1020-B.html

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 2:20 am 

Hi, Moallan!

Daaaaam! This stuff could work. It's cheap enough all right, but they have a $35 minimum order. I ordered five of the 20" x 30", I think it was. The description left a lot to be desired. It's going to be interesting to see what it is like, but I have a friend who frames pictures, and I'm pretty sure he will take it off my hands for cost.

Good find! Now that I have bought it, I'm sure there will be something wrong with it.

Best regards

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 2:27 am 

Art supply stores have BLACK Bristol Board that is about 1/16" or 2mm. It is a paper product not bonded wood fiber.
You want the kind that is solid black through-out... Some is just a black sheet laminated to a white core.
Robert

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 2:31 am 

Not too sure about that taskboard. From their website "yet can be formed into 3D shapes with just water".
Sounds like it might move quite a lot with humidity variations. I have seen backs swell and buckle out from absorbing moisture from the air.

Maybe seal it real good.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 8:40 am 

I have never seen a radio with a Masonite back (unless it was homemade). Masonite is a trade name for a particular type of very hard, dark brown, pressed wood. All the backs I have seen have been rather soft and tan colored. Maybe you are searching for the wrong word.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 10:01 am 

I think I've heard that the radio back stuff has been referred to as "chip board" ... is that it?

.05 thickness?
(or something like the stuff they make clipboards from?)

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.pazzles.net/wordpress/2010/ ... -chipboard

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 12:36 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
Masonite is a trade name for a particular type of very hard, dark brown, pressed wood.

It is a trade name, more commonly known as tempered hardboard.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 3:51 pm 

Hi all:

Well, this has turned into a surprisingly vigorous discussion.

I do know a little about Masonite, so I will address that first. Masonite is basically wood pulp mixed with a little adhesive and pressed into a board. Yes, Masonite is just a brand name, as is Frigidaire for refrigerators, but for many years, a lot of people called any refrigerator a Frigidaire, as they were the first major manufacturer. There are two kinds of Masonite. Regular Masonite, and tempered Masonite. Most radio backs were made out of regular Masonite, which is the light tan stuff. Tempered Masonite was made with a different type of adhesive, and pressed under heat to make it harder. Tempered Masonite is the darker type referred to in this thread. It is more expensive than regular Masonite, and was used a lot for applications where abrasion resistance was desired, as in for workbench tops. Most radio backs were made of regular Masonite.

The idea of sealing the task board with lacquer or some such sounds good, if it doesn't change the color too much. I would kind of like the color to match the original at least to some degree.

I believe I am correct in saying that "Chipboard" is made from wood chips, not wood pulp. Originally referred to by the brand name of the first manufacturer it was called " Blandex". Nowadays it is generally referred to as "OSB", which stands for "oriented strand board". I have seen several variations of this over the years made with different sizes of wood chips, but roughly the same product.

Somebody is almost certain to mention "MDF" which stands for "medium density fiberboard". The colloquial term for this is "particle board" in my neck of the woods. The color of it is almost identical to regular Masonite. This is made from sawdust. Its most common uses are cabinetry and shelving. It is often covered with high-pressure plastic laminate such as the brand name "Formica".

The Bristol board sounds interesting. I might head down to our local Michael's and see what they have.

Heading out to butcher another perfectly good golf course today. Hopefully some radio work will get done tomorrow

Best regards

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 7:21 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
I have never seen a radio with a Masonite back (unless it was homemade). Masonite is a trade name for a particular type of very hard, dark brown, pressed wood. All the backs I have seen have been rather soft and tan colored. Maybe you are searching for the wrong word.

I had a 58 Magnavox stereo console where the original chassis shelf and some of the cabinet boards had MASONITE boldly emblazoned on the surfaces that could only be seen from inside the cabinet....Same with the tube access cover of a webcor portable phono...the outside surface was covered in the original leatherette the back was bare and boldly labeled Masonite.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 10:15 pm 

So the question is, was the color of that Masonite the light tan are the dark brown?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 12, 2019 11:28 pm 

Sick Dog wrote:
So the question is, was the color of that Masonite the light tan are the dark brown?

My 2 examples were dark brown.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 2:36 am 

The untempered Masonite that I have seen is smooth and hard on one side and softer and with a "waffle" pattern on the other. Both sides are dark brown.

All the clipboards I have seen are either tempered Masonite (using the trade name in a generic fashion) or plastic. The stuff that most radio backs are made of is too soft for writing.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Chipboard outside of the building trade is a low quality cardboard made from recycled paper, often used in packaging where appearance isn't important. Often the backing sheet on a pad of paper.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 11:06 pm 

Just brainstorming here, maybe use the art board but saturate it with varnish or epoxy. You can dilute mixed epoxy with acetone and make i soak in. Maybe lay it out to dry on parchment paper? Perhaps layer up the art or cardboard to the thickness needed. Saturate. Put between parchment on a smooth flat surface. Weight it with a bag of sand??

Sometime people use clip boards for this. I sounds too thick though. You could neatly countersink the board with a Forsner bit or end mill.

I have made clips by bending spring stock wire in a T shape. Seems like finding longer clips would be easier than any of this.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 14, 2019 3:11 am 

Some where someone must know the actual name of the correct material that was used for radio backs... No?