Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thin Masonite
PostPosted: Dec Sat 14, 2019 4:03 am 

Hi Scott!

I have not received the stuff yet. When I get it, I will take stock of the situation and consider some of your suggestions. As I said in an earlier post, my first thought would be to spray the stuff with clear lacquer.

I am quite certain that the material used on most radio and television back covers was untempered Masonite, whether of the Masonite brand or some other manufacture. I have lots of it in stock but it is not thin enough for this application.

Upon closer scrutiny of the back of the radio cabinet, three of the four holes where the little push in fasteners would go are broken. The idea of bending a T-shape is very good. I might consider that. I might also try threading them and just put in a screw, but there would be a serious risk of breaking out the sides of the little posts where the push in fasteners are supposed to go.

Long day. Heading up to the house to lay down and rest.

Best regards

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sat 14, 2019 6:50 am 

auto door panel board

https://www.perfectfit.com/15347/Chipbo ... stery.html

PostPosted: Dec Sat 14, 2019 8:56 am 

This doesn't readily tell us what it's made from... but lots of (costly) repro backs here to choose from.

https://www.everythingradio.com/wp-cont ... -20-18.pdf

PostPosted: Dec Sat 14, 2019 3:24 pm 

Possibly an interesting product but I'm not sure the color and the thickness.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 8:49 am 

They say it's about 1/8" thick so it's a no-go no matter what color it is.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 5:49 pm 

5/64" equals 1.98mm
1/8" equals 3.17mm

Running hardboard, composite boards or MDF - - with or without a sled/jig - - through a planer is dangerous.

Use a drum-sander.
Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 15, 2019 11:48 pm 

Hi Greg

Do you have a link to where I might purchase that 2 mm MDF pictured in your last post?

I think that might work.

Best

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 12:33 am 

It's a common product for picture frame backs, as you mentioned earlier.
Try Michaels, Hobby Lobby or an independent framing store.

Baltic birch ply is also manufactured in 2mm
La Crosse lumber should be able to point you to a stockist. lol

Greg.
oh... they are similar in rigidity.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 12:52 am 

Hi Greg:

I have thin plywood that would serve the purpose, but of course wouldn't resemble the original.

Apparently I need to go hit a hobby store. Of course, I'm getting ready to have 50 ft.² of whatever this other stuff was that I had to order because of the $35 minimum order.

Merry Christmas guy

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 1:34 am 

Basswood tone taskboard is nothing more than solid cardboard. Like a really thick cereal box!

Merry Christmas to you too mike.
Ho Ho Ho... https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-stati ... 7390-3.jpg

:) Greg.

Last edited by egg on Dec Mon 16, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 1:42 am 

Hi Greg!

Your three "HOs" are looking pretty darn good. I presume you have retained the services of some professional bodyguards.

Take care guy

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 2:13 am 

Cut open the vinyl cover of a 3 ring binder and pull out the thick cardboard. Maybe that would be satisfactory, and maybe not.

Vince

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 2:59 pm 

Hi Vince:

Well, that's a thought. I am going to wait until the stuff I have ordered gets here and see what it looks like. I am also going to try to get to one of the hobby stores and see what they have.

Meanwhile, I hit the shed on my back 40 and found an old junker with a back cover that had no holes in it. I have laid it out based on a photo from radio Museum, and have the slots cut. I'm waiting to see what I am going to do about fasteners before cutting it to size.

I thought this was going to be a two post thread, but it has turned into quite a lengthy discussion.

7 inches of snow. I need to get the grader blade on the tractor and get started opening up the neighborhood.

Best regards

Mike

Attachments:
silvertone new back cover.JPG
silvertone new back cover.JPG [ 172.19 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 10:08 pm 

Hi all:

I got that shipment of "taskboard" today. It is much as Greg described it. Basically a thick version of what cereal boxes are made of. About 1.5 mm thick and pretty much white, so doesn't look like untempered Masonite, but does turn a fairly presentable shade of what I would call blonde or very light tan with the application of clear lacquer. I could probably tint that lacquer just a little bit and see if I could apply it evenly enough to make it look like Masonite. Probably would be pretty tricky to keep it from being blotchy. Not really rigid enough for anything but a very small mantel radio. Another problem I encountered pretty quickly is that it is a little too thick to cut very easily with an X-Acto knife, but frays around the edges pretty badly when cutting with a jigsaw.

I'm not calling it a total loss. Probably will need some experimentation. Kind of wishing I didn't have to buy so much of it to make the minimum order.

Merry Christmas everyone

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 10:52 pm 

There are companies that make rattle cans of toner lacquer that would save you the work of mixing.

You might want to cut the task board with a jigsaw with a tile blade installed (think flat bar with large grits of carbide sand glued to it to act as teeth)...we had got one for some precision tile work and tried it on wood and particle board and on both it produces a substantially cleaner cut than any toothed blade (the trade off is it cuts slower and costs more than a wood blade).

Thinking back more I've seen more than 1 type of back on 40s radios. I have a Bakelite GE that has a back that is inflexible and feels like thin tempered Masonite (the loop is plastic molded to the inside of the back), and I have a Silvertone that has a back made of thick non-corogated cardboard (which is delaminating near the clip holes) and has much more flex than the GE back. I've also seen fiberboard backs that are somewhere in-between (and are basically like untempered Masonite). The exact material used probably varied based on what was cheap and what the engineers liked.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 16, 2019 11:10 pm 

Coincidentally, I am working on a little silvertone 6405, and what you are describing for your silvertone must certainly have been what mine had originally. The little round metal push in retainers do not allow for much more than about 1.5 mm thickness.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2