Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA TV Cabinet requesting opinions
PostPosted: Dec Fri 20, 2019 1:01 pm 

Attachment:
20191219_045121.jpg
20191219_045121.jpg [ 4.64 MiB | Viewed 342 times ]
Hello, I recently purchased an RCA Victor TV Cabinet no electronics just the cabinet. It appears to be 1950's era, but no exact age. I purchased it with the intent of making it into a Liquor cabinet and modifying it slightly, shelves etc. While showing my coworkers, I was told don't remove the speaker cloth etc etc. My question to forum members: Is it a bad idea to modify this when I have no electronics just the cabinet.

Post subject: Re: RCA TV Cabinet requesting opinions
PostPosted: Dec Fri 20, 2019 4:29 pm 

That is probably a monochrome (55 model year) TV, but flip open the pencil box door between the knob holes and double check it doesn't have any controls labeled color or hue if it does it is a one of a kind 21CT55 cabinet variant and worth way too much to turn in to a shelving unit.

If it is a normal monochrome set (then by all means make it into whatever you want) it should be just fine to remove the backer board the grill cloth is attached to (I did that while changing the cloth on my 21CT55 and the cabinet was not destabilized during the process).... save the emblems on it though...they should fit a 21CT55 and IIRC member etype2 over on the vintage TV collector site videokarma.org needs an intact deluxe emblem....a while back he tried to drop $2k on a restorable 21CT55 for parts and I suspect that emblem was a fair bit of why he wanted it.