Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood Veneer Repair
PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 9:22 pm 

Hi,

I am looking for some guidance on repairing a hole in a radio cabinet. I've been looking (and will continue to look) for guidance on the web but am only finding bondo type repairs followed up with paint, the horrors!

anyway, if someone could shoot a link to some tips that would be great. this will be my first time doing this.

thanks,
scott

Attachments:
IMG_2145.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG [ 242.05 KiB | Viewed 764 times ]

Post subject: Re: Wood Veneer Repair
PostPosted: Dec Sun 22, 2019 1:23 am 

Can you post a full picture of the radio cabinet with hole ?. If the veneer is just a straight strip of veneer from one end to the other you may just want to replace that strip instead of trying to fix the hole with a patch. I've been repairing these radio cabinets for quite a while now and with that type of damage I've found it better to replace that section of veneer . I haven't seen any body that can patch that and make it disappear .

PostPosted: Dec Sun 22, 2019 4:24 am 

I think i understand what you are saying. Just replace the entire panel. i think i am lucky then. the panel is about 20x40 in a little recessed area about 2-3 eights inch deep. that does sound easier.

If correct then i make just take this opportunity to practice patching and gain some experience there. then veneer the whole panel.

thanks,
scott

Attachments:
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2148.JPG [ 302.13 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 22, 2019 4:16 pm 

Ok I see now what's going on better with getting a big picture of cabinet. My answer stays the same, I would fill the hole with bondo or like maybe a fiberglass resin and sand smooth and flat. Then place new veneer on the entire side panel with a piece of the same type of wood veneer then refinish entire cabinet. Don't replace or strip the old veneer off go over it with new veneer. Also you may be able to just refinish that side keeping the repair and new finish just on that side. getting the color to match may be a little tricky but can be done, Now there may be others that may have something else up there sleeve on how they would repair it. Its good sometimes to get a second opinion if that's makes you feel better..

PostPosted: Dec Mon 23, 2019 11:34 am 

The only time I veneered over the existing it failed eventually. The new slowly became detached at a join as it was done in two pieces.

I would fill the hole with a patch glued on the inside and then fill the outside with English Bondo. For finishing I would use the "artists oil paint method" which takes practice but surprisingly good results can be obtained. At least the whole side would be refinished. Its one of those dark funeral sets so getting a passable result this way should be possible. As a final aid you can always put it in a corner with that side against the wall :D

GL Gary

PostPosted: Dec Tue 24, 2019 7:10 pm 

If you were close to me, I would be able to show you an easy way to rebuild the base wood, then make an invisible patch, without veneering the entire side. It would be too time consuming and frustrating to try and explain it here. Where are you located? Cheers, Russie

PostPosted: Dec Thu 26, 2019 6:16 am 

I appreciate the offer Russie.

I understand the idea behind veneering the entire side. I think what i am going to do is attempt a patch first and if that does not turn out well I will veneer the entire side. I can at least get some practice. I have a SilverTone i gave to my father and it also has a hole in it on a curved surface no less. If i ever do that i will need practice anyway.

I have an old Farnsworth that is not really worth fixing so i may use that as my first victim, er, practice piece.

I am in Reno NV. Not too far but time is hard to juggle. Thanks for the offer.

Merry Christmas all!

-scott

PostPosted: Dec Thu 26, 2019 9:38 am 

Not an easy veneer that as its in a recessed panel. Maybe the trim around it comes off and that's how it goes ! Then you damage surrounding areas and it maybe gets to all needing striping and refinishing.

Despite what some might say I wouldn't just try sticking a piece of veneer over the top ! Just making a bigger problem later in my experience.

See no reason if you can get to the inside that you cant do it in the way I suggested. I haven't got many pics of radios that I have rescued that way and the two below aren't that good but it give you an idea. This radio had stood in water and was eaten away at the bottom. Just Bondo, paints, toner and lacquer. I did route new feet for it though.
Attachment:
Philips 580 -2 WEB.jpg
Philips 580 -2 WEB.jpg [ 92.81 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]

Gary

Attachments:
Philips 580 -3 WEB.jpg
Philips 580 -3 WEB.jpg [ 72.08 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]