Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 31, 2020 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice for restoring plastic body and parts?
PostPosted: Dec Mon 23, 2019 4:17 pm 

Ok, so a few days ago I got an old Longines symphonette golden globe master 5000 for 15$. The inside seems to be fine(no leaking caps, everything seems to be working, pots just need a bit of cleaning), but the body is in need of some work paint wise and trying to get some dents out of the grill. Since as best I could find this doesn’t appear to be a very valuable set, I figure it might be a good one for a beginner like me to attempt. If it ends up in disaster, I wouldn’t have ruined a valuable radio

It’s got 3 noticeable dents in the speaker grill, and the paint is worn off in several areas(not chipping, just looks rubbed off), most notably the area under the knobs, the knobs themselves and the rim all around the set.

Do I need to sand off all the areas to have the paint stick? Or since it appears rubbed off could i get by with just painting over the areas with a new coat? Also any advice on how to possibly get the dents out without cracking the old plastic?

Post subject: Re: Advice for restoring plastic body and parts?
PostPosted: Dec Mon 23, 2019 10:12 pm 

Pictures please.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 23, 2019 10:46 pm 

Sorry I keep forgetting to take some of it, I’m at work atm so I’ll have to wait till i get home tonight.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 24, 2019 1:14 am 

So after a second glance it’s not *as*bad as I thought, it’s mostly that trim and the knobs. I do have one other issue with the antenna not wanting to stay up at the bottom, thickest joint, seems to be really loose there, but that’s more a mechanical issue and the body is the bigger one atm imo...

Anyway here’s some of the pictures.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 24, 2019 1:51 am 

Have you cleaned those knobs? If not, pull them off and let them soak in some warm water with dish soap at least over night. Then scrub them with something like a tooth brush. If they still look bad, they can be repainted. I've done that several times, but I've never found a paint that has the original metallic look. The top of the paint can always shows a beautiful metallic finish but the actual paint looks different.

For the missing silver around the outside of the radio, I have carefully applied some aluminum paint around the entire surface. Cleaned the area good but did not sand any. I used a cheap Q-tip type cotton swab (200 for $1.00 at Dollar Tree) to apply the paint. The cheap swabs don't have much nap and are hard which keeps the paint on the top surface only. Mine never looked like the original, but it was a definite improvement.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 27, 2019 6:58 pm 

So I’m gonna try this later today. On the trim even though it seems silver here, it doesn’t quite in person. The closest I could find to what it looks like is a satin bronze look. I’m gonna compare it again when i get home, I’d rather have to paint only once. I’m not sure whether to go the route of using a small brush or q-tip, or just do several light coatings of the spray paint directly. The qtip/brush might leave noticeable brush marks, but I won’t have to tape off near as much, whereas spray paint directly should give a more even coat right? Of course I’ll then have to cover every inch of the thing that I don’t want painted in painters tape, a lot of work for a set that doesn’t seem too valuable tbh...

Also the paint i did get says safe for plastics, and I know this should have all modern plastic, but the chance that it has sat in storage somewhere not in a climate controlled environment is likely, so it should still be ok right?

What about the dents in the grill? Is it even possible to pop those out without cracking the plastic?

Sorry for such nitpicking questions, I chose this one to attempt specifically cuz it didn’t seem super valuable, but I still want to work on it as if it was.