Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 20, 2020 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: White Haze on Cabinet
PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 8:26 pm 

I have a Philco console that has a faint hazy look. Nothing like a cloudy watermark in the lacquer. It is uniformly hazy all over the cabinet. The storage condition for the past 20 years has been dry and room temperature, prior to that I do not know. I have heard of lacquered cabinets gaining a hazy look over time from absorbing moisture from the air. How do I get rid of the haze? Can I just put a fresh coat of lacquer on it or do I have to remove the old lacquer? Thanks for any responses.
Regards,
Don

Post subject: Re: White Haze on Cabinet
PostPosted: Dec Tue 31, 2019 4:34 pm 

I would need to see a picture to give advice. The white haze you mentioned sounds very much like water absorbed into the finish. This can occur when the lacquer is applied when the air is too humid or when the lacquer is exposed to moisture. If it does not come out with some hot air (such as a hair dryer), it will need to be refinished, or at least leveled with chemicals.

Post subject: Re: White Haze on Cabinet
PostPosted: Dec Tue 31, 2019 6:58 pm 

I've had great success by rubbing on boiled linseed oil with 0000 steel wool. I usually thin the oil about 50/50 with mineral spirits. It may take several applications as the oil is absorbed, but in almost all cases the "white" disappears. I'm guessing the oil soaks in a displaces the moisture.