Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 20, 2020 12:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: When to apply vaneer
PostPosted: Jan Sat 04, 2020 4:00 pm 

Hi Guy's, I'm restoring a Philco model 20 radio cabinet.
As you all know, this cabinet when found usually has the
front grill work smashed. So I made a template of the design
and I must say it didn't turn out to bad...But, now I have to
apply the veneer. :? If I put a sheet over the entire grill I will
have to cut around all that intricate work with an exacto knife.
I have a very fine scroll saw. Maybe I should apply the veneer to
the substright then cut out the design :?: I see, Fred Taylor uses
some Iron on veneer, any ideas?

Gary

Post subject: Re: When to apply vaneer
PostPosted: Jan Sat 04, 2020 6:27 pm 

The answer is yes. It would be easier to apply the veneer to the panel first, then cut it. Cut from the side that has the veneer, so the blade teeth pull the veneer against the panel, and use a fine blade. That way the chipping and fraying will be minimal. Cheers, Russie

PostPosted: Jan Mon 06, 2020 9:25 pm 

They make hobby knives (razor blade on an aluminum pen barrel that offers more fine control. It may be worth while making a small rough cut 80%the size of the hole then carefully doing the edges with a hobby knife....I have little experience actually doing this so if someone like Fred Taylor who really knows their stuff says otherwise then please ignore my input.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 06, 2020 10:14 pm 

I tried the whittle method that you propose. It does give good control over the outcome, yet it takes a heck of a lot of time. In addition, you still have to cut the openings first, then whittle. Why not save a time consuming step and just cut to a line? Then some finish sanding and your ready for staining and finish.
Cheers Russie

PostPosted: Jan Mon 06, 2020 10:22 pm 

startgroove wrote:
I tried the whittle method that you propose. It does give good control over the outcome, yet it takes a heck of a lot of time. In addition, you still have to cut the openings first, then whittle. Why not save a time consuming step and just cut to a line? Then some finish sanding and your ready for staining and finish.
Cheers Russie

On sets where the veneer is ontop of a shouldered grill bar or there is rounded edge trim on the top of a cabinet being veneered if you try to saw to the edge you cutoff the shoulder or you don't reach the real edge....if the cut out is flat you can sure saw it how you want....it is still possible to dig into the edge of the bar and the base wood if you are not careful....with a razor that accidental damage is not likely to be deep enough to spot, but with a saw it could be much worse.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 06, 2020 11:32 pm 

E. M. You are absolutely right. If the edge is not a square edge, then scroll saw would not be the solution. In this thread we are talking about a Model 20. It has a square edge, (see pic below) so scroll saw cuts would be appropriate.

In cases where the edge is not square, then another process would be preferred. In my opinion, a router is the way to go in that case.

As you said, "It all comes down to what you are comfortable with." Seems like someone who owns a scroll saw, or a router, could develop the skills it takes to make it work accurately.

Cheers, Russie

Attachments:
IMG_5678 (1).JPG
IMG_5678 (1).JPG [ 157.12 KiB | Viewed 895 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 7:34 pm 

i successfully cut away the new veneer with a router and a ball bearing flush cut bit. It wasn't this Philco, though.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 3:10 pm 

Hi Gary, I have had the same issues, the way I have done it I felt that the use of paper backed veneer wide enough to cover the entire surface is the best way. after the veneer is applied and adhesive is cured well I lay the radio face down on a cutting mat and carefully cut with an Exacto knife with a fresh blade. I think Fred uses yellow glue thinly painted on both surfaces an allowed to dry until clear then iron on.
I have used that method and it works well. I also used an adhesive that is called Heat Lock which works very nice, it's much like yellow glue but is light brown in color and is more plastic when cured. I have also used hot hide glue (hammer veneering) that you must allow a few days for all the glue to dry. there is a lot of shrinkage going on.
my vote is the Heat lock applied with a foam roller.
Regards Rich