Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 31, 2020 7:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Toning advice/ Follow up
PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 4:24 pm 

For this Silvertone clock/radio, it has a new cornice molding and has been stripped and stained. Now I could just seal and lacquer it and to a lot of people it would look fine. But a lot of people would try to copy the factory look. Which would mean that every surface that is not nice wood (veneer) would be toned down to match the color of the veneer. In this case it was a paint-like dark brown on the feet, cornice, "carving" at the top, vertical front bevel, waist molding, arch top molding, etc. I could see where it was done at the factory because there was overspray at all of the places. Sometimes referred to as the "burnt" look that some unscrupulous eBay flippers do to jazz-up a cabinet on the edges. I'm still undecided and I guess that I'll wait until it is sealed. Any thoughts?

Last edited by DKinYORKpa on Jan Sat 11, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Toning advice
PostPosted: Jan Wed 08, 2020 5:50 pm 

In my opinion, if not overly done, the fade in look (over the plain wood mouldings) can impart an expensive look to the finish. The fade in begins at the veneer. Color choice is also important, too much contrast can be distracting. Not enough contrast and the finish looks cheap or amateurish. Here is an example of toning done that is somewhat contrasty and another where it is subtle and more even.

Attachments:
BWradio.jpg
BWradio.jpg [ 134.32 KiB | Viewed 833 times ]
AKradio.jpg
AKradio.jpg [ 108.04 KiB | Viewed 833 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Wed 08, 2020 7:46 pm 

OK, thanks for your reply. For my taste, I like the even color look of the second one. For the first one with its fade, if that's how it looked originally, then so be it. It has been refinished correctly. I personally don't like that look. It's just me. If you look at the side of my clock/radio below, you can see where the vertical front edge bevel (plywood end grain) was sprayed dark and there's a little fade next to it. To be even, they shot down along the back edge as well. To me, it's assembly line techniques to keep the radios moving. I know that they had air brushes at this time and this would minimize the fade. A steady hand with an air brush can do wonders. (Like on some of the car restoration shows on TV) I like the perfection of taping and masking out the good wood; I just don't like the effort....LOL.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 09, 2020 4:56 pm 

DKinYORKpa wrote:
OK, thanks for your reply. For my taste, I like the even color look of the second one. For the first one with its fade, if that's how it looked originally, then so be it. It has been refinished correctly. I personally don't like that look. It's just me. If you look at the side of my clock/radio below, you can see where the vertical front edge bevel (plywood end grain) was sprayed dark and there's a little fade next to it. To be even, they shot down along the back edge as well. To me, it's assembly line techniques to keep the radios moving. I know that they had air brushes at this time and this would minimize the fade. A steady hand with an air brush can do wonders. (Like on some of the car restoration shows on TV) I like the perfection of taping and masking out the good wood; I just don't like the effort....LOL.

That is often found on musical instruments as a decorative finish method called sun burst...some fine it to be a fancy high end look rather than a factory short cut... to each their own though.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 09, 2020 5:53 pm 

Here are a couple of examples of highlighting, or fade, that was done from the factory. This is probably the most extreme use of the technique you'll ever see. Cheers, Russie

Attachments:
Electramuse Paint Scheme.jpg
Electramuse Paint Scheme.jpg [ 355.99 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]
Electramuse2.jpg
Electramuse2.jpg [ 172.91 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 1:05 pm 

I went with the tape-and-mask method. I used Mohawk extra dark walnut 101 toner.

Post subject: Re: Toning advice/ Follow up
PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 3:36 pm 

HI very nice job, I'm not a fan of fading either.
Rich

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 8:24 pm 

Rich berg wrote:
HI very nice job, I'm not a fan of fading either.
Rich

I don't mind it, it can be very effective, but it looks terrible when overdone. It should be extremely subtle.

Brett

PostPosted: Jan Fri 17, 2020 1:06 am 

Here's the finished job.

Now I need to find knobs with their rosettes.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 17, 2020 2:08 pm 

Hi what are those knobs made of?
I would make 4 castings of the good knob of epoxy and use the rosette from two of them for the smaller ones until I found the correct ones
Rich

PostPosted: Jan Sat 18, 2020 8:42 am 

hello DKinYORKpa,
the cabinet turned out really nice .
sincerely radio rich

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 3:29 am 

I think it's perfect. It looks just like it should. Very nice.

Dwayne

PostPosted: Jan Sun 19, 2020 2:13 pm 

very well done!
Rich