Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 20, 2020 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FOUND dETROLA model 193 t2 cabinet
PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 3:33 pm 

spsquires wrote:
Looking for information on how much it would cost to repair this cabinet if it was to be sent for repair?

If you can get your pictures larger in order to see the damage better I can give you an estimate on repair and refinishing.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 9:45 pm 

Tried from the buyer but no luck.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 11:20 pm 

It seems with no visible damage to the box and with closer inspection of those small pictures and do indeed see cracked upper left top molding and upper left corner along with upper right corner cracked . It would take a lot of force to cause damage like that. Yes temp and humidity ( in time ) will cause separation in veneer but not like that all the way thru that upper molding. Either it was dropped on the hard floor or its not the same cabinet. That box would have been crushed some what on corners and on each side . I would have asked for the cabinet back seeing there siding with the buyer but that's to late now. There has to be visible damage to the box and there was none, sounds like a scam. Its probably not the same cabinet cant really tell because the pictures don't show enough of the cabinet. To fix cabinet joints and not replacing the veneer, just fixing the crack and regluing, then grain fill seal and refinish your looking around $275-$325.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 26, 2020 3:19 am 

I agree with those who've said it looks like a scam. For one thing, I enlarged the pictures ten times and while one could be that same radio, it's almost impossible to tell with the other. Maybe more relevant is that anyone with a half decent cell-phone in this day and age can take extremely high resolution pictures. Those look like they were taken with a flip-phone from twenty years ago, or else the images were deliberated muddled. If it is indeed a scam, that just stinks. Why anyone would do that is beyond me.

Attachment:
File comment: radio corners enlarged
radio-corners.jpg
radio-corners.jpg [ 372.39 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 26, 2020 10:24 am 

I agree it was dropped but ebay agreed with the buyer so I am out a nice radio and a lot of money. I do believe in my opinion it is the same cabinet .

PostPosted: Jan Sun 26, 2020 4:04 pm 

From the looks of the damage its as if the cabinet was crushed from the front , pushed in causing the both front side corners to crack and that also explains the upper rounder trim to crack along from left to right. Dropping on the floor is unlikely but you never know. With the packing being tight and the cabinet having a lot of pressure against it could have damaged the cabinet and not the box. But you never know, I would like to see the damaged radio further back in picture to see even if its the same radio. I'm not saying the guys a liar but it seems he could take better pictures for you so you can rule that its indeed the same radio and you could tell immediately buy the grain patterns. If the guy will give your money back and you eat the shipping I myself would repair the cabinet and resell it if it were mine. Those high end radios need a good amount of insurance when shipping.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 26, 2020 5:14 pm 

The radio had insurance but would not cover it because the buyer said there was no damage to the box and because of the contents being a antique radio.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2