Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 23, 2020 12:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Emerson model 77 console radio 1934
PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 3:41 pm 

Can anyone out there in radioland provide me information regarding this console radio. I have checked out the internet and found pictures of it before and after restoration along with only a very brief history. The restorer said that there were only three or four of these consoles known to exist and I find that very surprising. I recently acquired one and began to refinish the cabinet and took the speaker and chassis to my electronics tech for rebuilding and am awaiting to hear back from him to see what repairs will be needed beyond the normal recapping and resistor-checking etc. I am NO furniture restorer. I just refinish radio cabinets that are in dire need of making them presentable to me and to fill in time during the winter months so I am concerned that I might be destroying a very rare and possibly valuable radio in my ignorance. I bought the radio because I like the art deco styling and the smaller cabinet size plus the fact that I have no Emerson radios in my collection. The cabinet finish was all blistered and I could not tell if the wood was real or photofinished but it is real and very heavily figured. If you can find the website that shows the other Model 77 that was restored, mine looks the same except that the top of his was badly warped (which he straightened out by the way) and the radio is now a beauty and it plays well, too. I would appreciate any advice you can give me on whether or not I ought to stop refinishing now (halfway through the stripping process) or continue my efforts and just make the radio satisfy my own taste and enjoy it for myself. I do not want to destroy anything of significance to radio history. I have almost no computer skills beyond emailing so I hope I am doing this right! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Emerson model 77 console radio 1934
PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 7:12 pm 

Unless it is a high tube count set (12+), designed by a famous designer or otherwise falls in some category collectors flip over rarity doesn't necessarily equate to value. I've had a number of consoles where only 1-2 are known to survive....they still are lucky to find a buyer at $20 at a radio collector club swap meet.
If you have already started stripping it there is no sense in stopping to ask now (the time to would have been before stripping) you can't unstrip the original finish and a half done basket case of most models is generally even harder to sell than a rough original.

One of the collector price guides has a preamble explaining that the Riders repair manuals that repair shops used when these sets were new list 2-3 times as many makes/models as the price guide because that many low production models have ceased to exist or exist in too low of a quantity to clean sales info on... Most of the rare sets are only worth what a comparable common model is, unless there is some special point of interest. Many 20s battery sets don't exist because in the late 20s when AC radios came out many towns with electrical utilities bought up new AC sets and had a town bonfire for the old battery sets.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 8:41 pm 

Thank you for your prompt reply regarding this console. I needed some reassurance before proceeding with my project. I have come late to this hobby and therefore my knowledge is very limited but I certainly do try to respect these old radios and radiomen so I decided to seek opinions before going any further. "When in doubt, ask questions" is my motto! I did not want to accidently do lasting damage to this radio as well as to this hobby so I wanted to seek guidance from people willing to help me. Much obliged!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 9:40 pm 

Does it have the chrome accents, nice looking set but kinda plane jane

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 10:32 pm 

Yes, this model does have the three thin chrome accents (strips) on each side of the cabinet. Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 11:10 pm 

Does it look like this one-
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1864543262

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 1:56 pm 

Yes, that is the one I have, no doubt about it. The cabinet wood even has the same graining pattern to it as the one pictured. Thank you for the picture!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 4:58 pm 

I just looked up pictures. That chrome trim is is really cool. I can't recall seeing that on a console, but chrome trim tombstone sets seem to be popular and valuable... That set may be worth more than the average early 30s console because of that. Hope you achieve a good restoration on it and enjoy it...

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 9:15 pm 

Thank you for your positive comment on the Emerson console. My other consoles are later 1930's models and have styling more machine age than art deco like this one. I like them all (about 15 of them) and listen to them regularly.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 17, 2020 1:08 am 

Hagstar restored one of these:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=287272

It's a rare radio, that's for sure.

Peter

PostPosted: Jan Fri 17, 2020 5:40 am 

Thanks, Peter, for your input regarding Hagstar. He did a really nice job of restoring his radio and I hope I can do justice to mine but I am really limited in refinishing radios. I used to do gunstocks years ago but I was younger then and my eyes and hands were better. I haven't heard from my tech yet regarding the electronics and it might be awhile before he can get back to me. Hopefully, it will only take a bunch of capacitors and a resistor or two to get it going again but you never know.