Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 31, 2020 7:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restore small imperfections on cabinet
PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 4:41 am 

I do not want to strip this cabinet as I have little skills and would likely ruin it. I just want cover up small imperfections with something and apply a clear or should I use semi clear coat. What can I use? I have Howards Dark Walnut restore. Will that work? On clear coat use brush or spray can? Cabinet below, note hairline cracks on top of cabinet:

Attachments:
s-l1600ppp.jpg
s-l1600ppp.jpg [ 559.93 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]
s-l1.jpg
s-l1.jpg [ 724.38 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Post subject: Re: Restore small imperfections on cabinet
PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 3:22 pm 

No one attempts a restore? Cabinet is always striped and refinished?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 4:56 pm 

I recently restored an Aetna 502. Had to completely rebuild the grille and reveneered the whole cabinet.
Attachment:
502 1.jpg
502 1.jpg [ 329.21 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Attachment:
502 7.jpg
502 7.jpg [ 343.59 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 5:24 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
I do not want to strip this cabinet as I have little skills and would likely ruin it. I just want cover up small imperfections with something and apply a clear or should I use semi clear coat. What can I use? I have Howards Dark Walnut restore. Will that work? On clear coat use brush or spray can? Cabinet below, note hairline cracks on top of cabinet:

I don't see any imperfections significant enough to merrit any restoration...the patina is nice on that. If there are light scratches Howards is good...Go with the lightest color that hides the scratches. You could spray it with lacquer to protect the finish....Make sure to remove the chassis, speaker, grill cloth, and dial bezel before spraying.

If you want it to look brand new a full refinish is the way to go.

Personally if the patina is nice (ie the original lacquer isn't flaking or badly/unevenly discolored) and it looks presentable with a treatment of Howards, gojo, and furniture wax I leave it be....if it can't be made to look presentable I sell it or refinish it. Personally I think a 60+ year old thing should not have to look new, but if it looks so junky it has to be refinished then you may as well make it new if you are going to the effort.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 16, 2020 6:22 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

I don't see any imperfections significant enough to merrit any restoration...the patina is nice on that. If there are light scratches Howards is good...Go with the lightest color that hides the scratches. You could spray it with lacquer to protect the finish....Make sure to remove the chassis, speaker, grill cloth, and dial bezel before spraying.

If you want it to look brand new a full refinish is the way to go.

Personally if the patina is nice (ie the original lacquer isn't flaking or badly/unevenly discolored) and it looks presentable with a treatment of Howards, gojo, and furniture wax I leave it be....if it can't be made to look presentable I sell it or refinish it. Personally I think a 60+ year old thing should not have to look new, but if it looks so junky it has to be refinished then you may as well make it new if you are going to the effort.

That is what I think (your reply). Clean, Howards restore and wax. It does not have to be super glossy, just reasonable with some shine. I will follow your advice and post original vs finshed soon.