Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 20, 2020 7:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CitriStrip
PostPosted: Jan Thu 23, 2020 4:34 pm 

I've used Citristrip to remove lacquer on my cabinets when the need arises. I mainly like using it because its odorless and I can use it indoors during the winter months. I noticed as I walked by some at the store that it looked different. It used to be a thick creamy gel. Now it looks like red cool aid. I'm assuming they had to change for environmental reasons??? Has anyone tried the newer version yet?

Post subject: Re: CitriStrip
PostPosted: Jan Thu 23, 2020 7:31 pm 

Yes I noticed that too. The new stuff seems to work about to same on lacquered wood...I need to try it on painted Bakelite too since that used to be my main use for it when the old formula was everywhere.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 29, 2020 4:20 pm 

I just used some and still had some thickness to it. Clean up with water was a joke. Alcohol was great, though. It was really clean.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 29, 2020 4:28 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I have always used "Multistrip Pro". It goes on thick, sticks on good, it does a good job of removing everything it's on, and it does clean up with water. If it happens to dry on the surface just dampen it and it comes right off.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 29, 2020 7:52 pm 

DKinYORKpa wrote:
I just used some and still had some thickness to it. Clean up with water was a joke. Alcohol was great, though. It was really clean.

I typically make sure enough Citristrip is on that there is no dry spots then liberally apply glass cleaner to clean it off.
The old formula would clean off from Bakelite well with water, but haven't done a painted Bakelite strip since before the new version came out to see if that holds.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 30, 2020 3:22 am 

It seems they have changed their formula. I have a bottle purchased last summer and on the bottle back it states that it contains Benzyl alcohol. Buying Citristrip for the first time I looked up what benzyl alcohol was and frankly was a little surprised what I learned. Here I'm thinking of oranges and safe environmental thoughts and it turns out its benzyl alcohol which is anything but tame. Always pays to learn about the contents. MSDS now says it contains N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone as the main ingredient... I'll have to read up about that one.