Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 31, 2020 7:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice needed on record player case recovering
PostPosted: Jan Fri 24, 2020 7:02 pm 

I'm pretty good at making them play; but, not that great with cosmetics. However, after what I found in my basement, I either need to get good with cosmetics or part these things out. My basement is the "overflow" of projects that I was planning on getting to and I've been doing some cleaning out. I was horrified, and said a few choice words, when I discovered that rats had gotten in and chewed the case covering off of several classroom record players that I had.

The two that ticked me off the most are a couple of Newcomb models...one from '81 with a yellow motorboard and a high end, rare model from the mid '70's, with a red motor board (both had simulated woodgrain covering).

An Audiotronics stereo player got chewed pretty bad

A nice Hamilton stereo player and a Hamilton mono player got chewed to heck and back.

A few more got some minor nicks, like they took a bite out of them and decided that they didn't like the flavor.

Now, the questions:

1. What would be the best way to remove the existing case covering and the glue residue from the case?

2. What kind of covering would you use to replace the existing covering, or would you sand down the cases and paint them?

3. In order to do it right, I'd have to remove the hardware from the case (handles, corner protectors, lid latches, hinges, etc.). They look to be riveted in place and I could drill those out; but, I assume I'd need some sort of rivet gun to re-attach the hardware.

I'd like to fix the two Newcomb models; but, the rest may end up getting parted out. The Hamiltons were not that great sounding and they are still a dime-a-dozen; so, no huge loss there.

Attachments:
junk 001.JPG
junk 001.JPG [ 702.47 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]
junk 002.JPG
junk 002.JPG [ 614.12 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]
junk 003.JPG
junk 003.JPG [ 609.22 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]
junk 004.JPG
junk 004.JPG [ 957.93 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]
junk 005.JPG
junk 005.JPG [ 605.92 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]
junk 006.JPG
junk 006.JPG [ 932.62 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]
junk 007.JPG
junk 007.JPG [ 860.79 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]

Post subject: Re: Advice needed on record player case recovering
PostPosted: Jan Fri 24, 2020 7:21 pm 

I've never recovered these, but from some Zenith transoceanic recovering discussions lately it sounds like guitar amp parts houses may be able to supply you with materials.

I hope you fix these, but if you part out anything with an arm that is meant for 16" transcription discs I could use one to build a player for some old 16" radio transcriptions I have.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 24, 2020 7:29 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
The covering that I am most familiar with is called "Tolex" (I think). It has to be applied using contact cement and rollers, but makes a nice covering and is available in a variety of colours and patterns I think.

That last one, the Newcombe, looks like someone got at it with "MacTac" (vinyl stick on stuff from the '70's/'80;s)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 24, 2020 7:35 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
The covering that I am most familiar with is called "Tolex" (I think). It has to be applied using contact cement and rollers, but makes a nice covering and is available in a variety of colours and patterns I think.

That last one, the Newcombe, looks like someone got at it with "MacTac" (vinyl stick on stuff from the '70's/'80;s)

Actually, that wood grain crap is original. I don't know why Newcomb did it; but, during their final years of production, they started using that tacky looking crap on their record players.