Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 27, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg Carlson Part Needed
PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2020 8:11 pm 

Hello, 1st time here.Im not really a radio guy but i have my parents Stromberg Carlson drop front AM/shortwave console i am trying to restore.I had the parts in storage when we moved but i think heat and time got a hold of one part. The plastic?.shroud that holds the glass in front of the dial is warped ans i broke a piece off.I do not know where to look ,what company might make a replacement part?.Is there a better forum area to post this?. I have attached a picture of a radio i found that has the same style front,and also the front i have .any help would be great...The way my mother told me the story, my Grandmother in late 1930's took a bus clear across town and back in Detroit to get this new..Have always loved it and would like to restore and give to my daughter..Still works,like most things built then!

Tim

Attachments:
r1.jpg
r1.jpg [ 234.58 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]
r2.jpg
r2.jpg [ 681.5 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]
r3.jpg
r3.jpg [ 759.04 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]

Post subject: Re: STROMBERG CARLSON PART NEEDED
PostPosted: May Sat 02, 2020 1:15 pm 

I've never seen anyone making replacements for those, but you may get some ideas from others about reproducing it yourself.

You could post a WTB (Wanted to buy) ad in the classifieds section.

Peter

Post subject: Re: Stromberg Carlson Part Needed
PostPosted: May Tue 05, 2020 4:12 pm 

Maybe it could be made out of wood. I just finished working on a Sparton 6-26 radio that had a small wood frame around where the dial glass went. The dial glass did not fit into the frame as yours does, it was mounted to the chassis. Someone with a router table could probably make it to closely match the old one and groove it to hold the glass. If you look at photos of the Sparton 6-26 you will see what I mean.

PostPosted: May Tue 05, 2020 4:45 pm 

thanks guys..i did ask a friend if he had a 3d printer as another option.Hes an engineer, so maybe that route.But i did think of wood,but paint it black,with a little lip to hold the glass.Ill check out the Spartan.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 6:51 am 

I think there are two good options:
1. Make a replica out of wood, as mentioned above,
2. Use hot water to bend the celluloid back into shape, use epoxy to glue it back together and fill in the missing gaps and then touch up the epoxy with paint and lacquer.

I’ve done both before with acceptable results.