Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 23, 2021 6:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hewlett Packard VTVM Diagnosis
PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 4:54 pm 

acbaker123 wrote:
because if i missed one it would be an inconvenience to, pay 8 bucks worth of shipping for maybe one 10 cent resistor. just a thought.

Ah, OK. I gotcha. Thanks.

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 7:52 pm 

If you’re going to keep fixing things like this, might want to consider a resistor assortment. Our vendors here offer them, so does any parts house worth looking at

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 8:51 pm 

I was thinking that too. also if you recall the 10-14 scope I was trying to fix, it would be helpful for that too. Where can I find resistor and capacitor kits?

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 8:57 pm 

what are the most useful sets to get? for example from JustRadios.com and where can I get the best price? disregard the last post

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 9:05 pm 

on the other hand, I do not have a constant supply of stuff to work on so it is a bit hard to justify getting a couple hundred dollars worth of components when I may still need to order something. I feel like it takes a while for one to build up a reliable stock of components. I just don't think I want to spend that much yet. i may still get a resistor pack for the scope though. and on the HP vtvm i am waiting for parts. not having shipping is one upside to having a stock.

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 9:21 pm 

how specific should i be when replacing resistors, a resistor kit might have something close to what I need but not quite. for example, I would need a 2w 12k resistor on the vert board of the scope but the kit only has a 10k 2w. in not sure I want to fork out 70 bucks for a kit that has the exact values. should I?

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 10:02 pm 

Welllll......you've hit on the axiom of the hobby...you can never have too many parts lol. In this case, you could use two resistors in series or parallel to get your 12k resistor. No set is likely to have 12K ... they will have values in 10% or 5% increments of values mostly.

In some circuits, 10K will work fine where a 12K was. Or perhaps a 13k or whatever .... but selecting the part requires that you know how the circuit works and what that resistor does.

If you're not in a hurry, you can do what I mentioned and "make" a resistor of the proper value, obeying Ohm's Law for both resistance and current ratings.... and move on to the next step. You can order the exact replacement later if you want, or just leave your "made" value in there.

But if you have no set to start with, you are going to get frustrated mighty quick. You can find resistor sets at hamfests, parts shows ..... estate sales or auctions... but often not sorted well, or in some cases not sorted at all. I opt to buy kits that are already sorted. Life's too short.

If you get a 2W set, that should cover most things. However you may find that if you need to parallel two of them to make up a value, it may not physically fit very well where your 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor used to be ...... that's the tradeoff. One of them, anyway.

Also of note, some circuits, notably newer test gear and hifi/stereo equipment, sometimes uses 1/4 watt resistors as fuses. In the event of a catastrophic failure in, say, an output device, the resistor is expected to burn open before carnage occurs. Occasionally 1/2 watt as well.

Last edited by Barry H Bennett on May Thu 06, 2021 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 11:24 pm 

its to hard to guess what to replace, and some items you just dont want to change for the fun of it. can cause calibration issues.

I been there like you starting out into this hobby or more seriously into it, and not wanting to pay all those high shipping cost limited budget, etc.

it's not that easy, you can get into this hobby without to much investment, but will have some. equipment will be the same.

start off working on some stuff that does not require much $. go slowly, take a little at a time.. if you are still interested, you can acquire stuff as you go.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 12:50 am 

If you look carefully in the fine print, DigiKey has free shipping if you prepay by check or money order.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 1:09 am 

I have not ordered anything from them in a while.they dropped there less than first class shipping weight rate (when the usps mailing got messed up) and went to higher flat rate :(

Last edited by ttx450cap on May Thu 06, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 1:25 am 

What I'd suggest is to perhaps start with a kit of half watt resistors, like this one.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... RS150/7109
There are two different sets, this one has the typical 10% series, even though they are 5% resistors.
The other one fills in the values of the 5% series that the first one skips. Most vintage gear used the 10% series. Don't expect one kit to cover all possibilities. If you need something not in the kit for a project don't just buy one resistor unless it is a 1% or similar. If the project calls for a 5% resistor for example that isn't in the kit, buy at least 10 or whatever is needed to get a quantity discount. The extras might very well come in handy later. Resistors larger than half watt could be just ordered as required.
Another tip to help defray shipping costs is when you start a project without a resistor kit is to order multiples of every value the project uses. If a resistor winds up not needing to be replaced, save it for another project. That way you can build up your own stock without buying a kit.
You can do the same with film capacitors. I never bought a capacitor kit.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 3:12 am 

See section six of DigiKeys terms and conditions:
https://www.digikey.com/en/terms-and-conditions

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 3:15 pm 

amazon actually has better options for the lower wattage resistors (1/2 w and 1w)

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 4:11 pm 

Why not go to Sal @Sal's Capacitor Corner (see the yellow ad to the right of your screen)? He has a 1000qty 1/2w resistor kit for $32! Here is a link to all that are included in this kit. http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/resistorkit2.jpg His shipping is nominal and he's a super nice guy and a site sponsor to boot! Of course I am not related to Sal, just a happy customer.

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 6:36 pm 

stevebyan wrote:
If you look carefully in the fine print, DigiKey has free shipping if you prepay by check or money order.

Exactly. Google should also find you their mail order form PDF.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 10:00 pm 

wow, he has a lot of stuff for amazing prices! how do I email him, the address is not like one I have seen before, is it capacitor@tuberadios.com?

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 10:02 pm 

it turned into a link so I suppose it is.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 12:58 am 

Here is a link to an article about resistor value series.
https://www.electronics-notes.com/artic ... 48-e96.php

Where you get a kit isn't the important aspect.
I will point out that the Digikey kit is more organized. Each value comes in it's own labeled zippered plastic envelope and groups of nine values are in larger plastic zipper envelopes. The entire kit is in a larger still zipper plastic bag. I just keep it that way, no need for me to buy a parts cabinet with drawers for the resistors. I also have a large bag of half watt (and bags of higher wattage) resistors that I accumulated over the years, also organized in labeled smaller plastic envelopes. When I buy things form Mouser the zippered plastic bags the parts come in have labels that I can successfully remove and use the bags for other parts. The Digikey plastic bags have labels that usually can't be removed with out tearing the bags.
There is no reason to chain yourself to one source of parts.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:25 am 

acbaker123 wrote:
wow, he has a lot of stuff for amazing prices! how do I email him, the address is not like one I have seen before, is it capacitor@tuberadios.com?

go here > http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/
use a spreadsheet program to open "order form" several free versions like libreoffice. fill out oder. submit.. > email to
capacitor at tuberadios dot com - fill in the blanks thats to prevent spam

I did not use sal order form once and caused him more work then necessary. use the form, your order will be shipped faster.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 3:02 pm 

i think i did it right. have not got a response yet though