Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 19, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Knight KG-600B tube tester meter
PostPosted: Apr Tue 08, 2003 2:51 am 

Hello,<P>I've acquired a Knight model KG-600B tube tester. Everything seems to work except for the meter. It does not move and seems there is a bunch of small metal filings from something in the middle of the movement. I’m not sure what this stuff is. The meter is relatively sealed so this stuff must be deteriorating from the meter itself?? Would anyone have another meter for this tester as I'm not sure I could ever get all the shavings out of this one? Or maybe some one has the specs for this meter so that I might try to find a new one that will work? <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Tue 08, 2003 3:38 am 

Erik<BR>Have you tried to clean the particles out with thin strips of masking tape. Many meters seem to collect these after a few years, these are small pieces of the magnet I believe. The meter is a commom 0-1 ma meter.<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Tue 08, 2003 3:57 pm 

Hi Dave,<P>I have not tried the masking tape trick. Great idea though. The movement is off its pivots too. It looks like I can loosen the pivot screws to remount the needle. If worse comes to worse can you recommend a replacement source? <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 7:51 pm 

A magnetised needle is the tool of choice for removing ferrous particles, but if the needle is off the pivots, the hairspring is almost certainly destroyed, which means the meter is beyond economical repair. Been there, done that for a living.<P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: May Wed 07, 2003 9:44 pm 

I didn't have a magnetised needle handy (where do you find those?) the masking tape idea did the trick.. for now, although it took a few hours! I was able to remount the needle with the hair spring intact and the meter appears to function. Thanks for all the advice!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Wed 07, 2003 10:57 pm 

Hi Eric<P> You can make your own magnetised needle by running a needle across a magnet.<P>------------------<BR>Norm