Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 15, 2019 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hickok 605A meter problem
PostPosted: Apr Sat 05, 2003 5:07 pm 

I have a Hickok 605A with a meter that has a mechanical problem. Is there anyone around who could repair this movement for me and not ask for my first-born in return? The meter tends to stick so often the tester is no longer usable. I have examined the meter and it appears that the supports for the coil/needle assembly may be too far apart and no longer offer the proper support or alignment. Thanks,<P>Kevin<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sat 05, 2003 5:15 pm 

The pivots are supposed to be a little loose. Most likely there's a bit of corrosion or a magnetic particle inside the magnet gap, interfering with the coil. If you have good eyesight and steady hands, some slivers of masking tape will snag whatever it is.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Fri 11, 2003 12:11 am 

Another thought....depending upon your climate, a static charge on the meter's plastic case can totally lock up the needle. I can see the end of my needle (also a rather loose fit) tipped/pulled upwards toward the plastic case when this happens. Wiping or even tapping the meter case is the usual method of applying this unwanted charge.<P> Here in Nevada, I tap the tubes or tester body, but I've learned to NEVER touch the meter case. <P> Other threads on this subject have suggested applying an anti-static spray or wiping the meter case with dryer sheets to reduce the effect.<P>Greg<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 14, 2003 4:57 pm 

I have lots of static up here in Wisconsin in the winter. I use a pink liquid that only says ANTI-STATIC LIQUID FOR PLASTIC. It says on the bottle it is 89% isopropyl alcohol by volume. what the rest is it doesnt say. This works fine and last a long time. You can use a warm damp soft cloth to remove the static alsoby just wiping over the face of the meter.static buildup on meter faces is just a part of life.<P>------------------<BR>Larry

PostPosted: Apr Thu 17, 2003 5:19 pm 

You might try Hickokdoc (Bill Waters, wate@erols.com ). He offered to look at mine for free, but was unable to help when I told him the coil was open. He is in the business of test equipment repair.<BR>Ben <P>------------------<BR>