Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 19, 2019 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit IG-102 calib. problem
PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 4:28 am 

Using my radio digital tuner to cal generator and noticed things were a bit off. Tuner says 600, generator says 590.<BR>Degree of error seems to be somewhat <BR>consistant across all bands. Tried to adjust generator via trimmer C6 as per instructions but cannot get zero beat point to move to where tuner and generator pointer match. Any Ideas ?<P>------------------<BR>Dan

PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 1:55 pm 

You may be expecting a level of precision that was never there. Most signal generators will not track perfectly across the dial, anymore than most radios will. When you need a specific frequency; use your digital tuner to set the generator. That is by far the best way to go.<P>As far ajustments go--there is usually a trimmer for the high end of the bands of a signal generator. This won't move the low end around much. If there is a low end adjustment, it is usually an adjustable slug in the coils. Your generator may or may not have this feature.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 5:07 pm 

Most of the Heath generators lack any means of alignment for the high or low end! <P>A lot of folks use a cheap handheld frequency counter to read the generator frequency. It's best to provide some sort of of take off tap to provide the maximum generator output to drive the counter. The output is taken from a cathode on a dual triode in the Heaths IIRC. A .01 decoupling caps will be needed.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 6:44 pm 

Time to buy a freq meter. Thanks for the tips....Good people, great forum.<P>------------------<BR>Dan

PostPosted: Apr Wed 30, 2003 12:49 pm 

Peter,<BR>I seem to remember that the Heath generators all had adjustable caps but not coils so *some* adjustment was possible.<P>Dan,<BR>Why not use the beat frequency method to check generator alignment?If a Heathkit generator will suffice acuracy-wise for the work you are doing,it seems to me that beat frequency alignment will also suffice accuracy wise.<BR>Malcolm Leonard<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Thu 08, 2003 6:00 am 

My IG-102 calibrated just fine to my digital radio, and is accurate.<BR>Have you checked the components? There may be a weak contact or something (or the tube may be going out).<P>------------------<BR>