Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 20, 2019 8:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA signal generator
PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 11:43 pm 

Hello, I have an rca sig gen that has rf and audio outputs. It doesnt seem to adjust the freq when you rotate the tuning condenser. I think it was put together as a kit as I dont see any model numbers on it. Says RCA INSTITUTES, INC signal generator kit NEW YORK, N.Y. One knob says pwr off and rf atten. The other knob says AF OUT/INT MOD and AF OFF. The knob in the center has 6 letterd settings A B C D E and x. There is of course the tuning knob which of course has kc and mc. I think you get the right range of freq by selecting the correct letter setting on the range knob and then adjust the tuning to desired freq. I hooked this thing up to my scope and it only seems to give 277 hertz. it doesnt seem to tune or increase or decrease freq. Did rca only make one sig gen kit or do I just need to replace the caps to get this thing working as I dont have a schematic for it<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 28, 2003 12:01 am 

Dimensions, or a photo, might help identify it as a standard RCA model (there were many). If it's an older model, it would need the usual filter and paper caps replaced.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 28, 2003 2:23 am 

If you are taking the signal from the audio jack the dial will have no effect, the audio is a fixed freq usually more like 400 hz. As Alan states an old test generator is like an old radio and will need some new caps before it will work as it should. If you hook a wire to the center of the RF out you should hear it on a radio next to the wire tuned to a BC freq and modulated with the int modualtion control turned up.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 28, 2003 5:14 am 

Hello, I couldn't find any model or serial numbers on the generator<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 28, 2003 6:37 am 

Thanks for the email pix. I don't recognize it: for benefit of others, it's an upright format, like the WR50 but larger, and the frequency scales are semicircular (no double-ended pointer as on the WR50). Rather plain-Jane, the sort of thing you'd expect with a training course.<P>------------------<BR>