Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Replace parts in Heathkit IM-4100 counter??
PostPosted: Apr Fri 18, 2003 9:50 pm 

I bought a Heathkit model IM-4100 frequency counter, which dates to the '70's. It is working, and apparently is accurate because I measured the frequency of an AM transmitter, and a sig. gen., and all frequencies are right where they should be. My question is should I replace the disc and tantalum caps, and the 6000 uf electrolytic since they're 25-30 years old now? How about the diodes and transistors in it?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sat 19, 2003 12:24 am 

It works so no reason to rebuild it. If you feel better about it you can replace the electrolytic's but the disc and tantalum caps last a long time. Same goes for the diodes and transistors. If one of the other components ever die then you can repair or rebuild. I have a lot of test equipment 25 to 45 years old that still work fine and have never been rebuilt.<P>Paul<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sat 19, 2003 12:47 am 

I will cast a vote in favour of replacing the electrolytics only,at this point,especially if they present a possible hazard to other parts should one of the "lytics short.I'd leave the other parts alone.<BR>Malcolm Leonard<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2003 8:31 pm 

There's no need to worry about the electrolytics, especially if the thing has seen even very occasional use in its life. By the '70s, electrolytics were much more reliable, and most of us have much older equipment with original electrolytics which are doing just fine. <P>Such 'preventive' maintenence would, if anything, make the counter less reliable because of the danger of lifted circuit board pads. <P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 28, 2003 3:40 am 

Well, my dad use to say (among other thing!!) if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. <P>------------------<BR>Walters