Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 20, 2020 7:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Simpson 260 - 7 - Cleaning Battery Leakage over QA Mark?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 7:17 am 

Hi. New here. And here because so many google searches into my question returned threads from this forum. None seem to address my specific question.

The Wisconsin-shaped QA mark inside my Simpson 260 Series 7 has leakage from the D Cell battery on it. Before trodding in there and unnecessarily destroying that mark, I'm asking if there is a way or chemical to use that would clean the leakage but leave the mark (appears to be ink) intact?

And while I'm here, let me ask about the QA mark. I've got 2 Simpson 260's, a 7 and a 7PM. I think I've decoded the first line of digits (4) to be 2 digits for the week and 2 digits for the year of production. Tell me if I'm wrong about that. But my actual question is the second line of digits (3). One meter has the number "772" and the other has the number "774". My best guess is that it is an employee number, like "Inspector #772" or something. Is my guess correct? Is there an online reference that explains this QA marking?

Thanks for any suggestions on preserving this mark and/or explaining it.

Billy

Post subject: Re: Simpson 260 - 7 - Cleaning Battery Leakage over QA Mark?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 9:21 pm 

You could try a little baking soda mixed with water. I have no idea what kind of ink the mark used. I do know the baking soda will probably clean off the battery remains, but as to whether or not it will leave the mark untouched is probably anyone's guess. Just don't get too aggressive with any rubbing action .... try just dabbing it on and off.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:58 pm 

Is the mark on the metal or the bakelite? If the residue is on metal, it will probably have ate up the aluminum around the mark so it will not look good no matter what you clean with that is non aggressive. If it is on bakelite the battery residue probably does not affect that much. I would try just warm water and a soft brush or maybe something gentle like hand soap if that does not get it all. Windex with ammonia or any kind of solvents will doubtless be unhealthy for the stamping. You could scrub in the areas around the mark and then carefully clean the mark area with damp cotton swabs or something, to try to do little damage. What you are doing is probably something that no one gives any thought to. I did not know that the stamp was that important to anyone and thus no one has probably tried saving it from being removed during corrosion removal, thus few responses if any. Any where I have worked, a QC stamp with a number is assigned to a particular person and that can change as people move on. Like, at Drake, I was #18 for awhile and then I moved to a different position and got a different stamp number.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 6:20 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
You could try a little baking soda mixed with water...Just don't get too aggressive with any rubbing action....
I'll try the baking soda solution and dabbing first. Thank you.

wazz wrote:
Is the mark on the metal or the bakelite?
It's on the bakelite.

wazz wrote:
What you are doing is probably something that no one gives any thought to. I did not know that the stamp was that important to anyone and thus no one has probably tried saving it from being removed during corrosion removal, thus few responses if any.
Maybe I'm over-thinking it. My thought was that, as well-built as they are, I won't be the last owner of the meter. And if they're anything like me, one of the first questions will be "when was this thing made?" If there is another (possibly) date stamp on/in the thing, I've not found it yet.

Thank you for the replies. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Billy