Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 20, 2020 6:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hickok Frequency Counter Model 380
PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2012 12:22 am 

Picked this up figuring i could use it to make sure my signal generator is operating correctly. Plugged it in today and all i get on the screen is a number 9 and a little light for MHz. According to the manual i should be seeing all zeros. Any ideas on what is wrong with it? I realize that this is a wide open question but is it even worth trying to repair?
Stan Ski

Post subject: Re: Hickok Frequency Counter Model 380
PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2012 1:45 am 

Not if it has 'leading zero suppression'.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2012 2:41 pm 

You got docs for it?

Check the oscillator to see if its running. It may have leading "0" suppression but I'd think that at least two or 3 zeros would show up if there is no signal/count, but...

Ya needs a program, can't tell the players without a program. Hope baseball season starts soon, tired of "winter" and me needs a diversion.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2012 4:58 pm 

You have a very strong 9 MHz signal nearby :P On the serious side, I think it should display something other than a "9" at power on. I couldn't find a free manual to download on that model, that series of counters from Hickok were somewhat obscure. There were some places online selling the manuals, but they weren't clear if they were full service manuals or just operating, and I wouldn't want to blow a whole lot of money in an attempt to repair an 80 MHz counter.

I did find that the standard "380" uses a 1 MHz crystal reference oscillator, the 380X a 10 MHz TCXO. If you have a scope, you can probe around and see if the oscillator is working, and with a multimeter do a quick check at the power supply outputs (which are likely OK as you get the "9.") If it has any tantalum caps, check them for shorts. Other than visually checking for anything else obvious you'll need to get at least the schematic to attempt troubleshooting it.

-Mark-

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 1:29 am 

I know that this is an old thread- but have you had any luck with your Hickok 380? When there is no signal input, the display should come up all zeroes- and stay that way. I had the same problem you are having, and it turned out to be a bad 4028 ic.