Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Waveforms, Inc test equipment history
PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 4:45 am 

Butch1 asked for some Waveforms manuals. I thought I’d post what I have on my Liberated Manuals archive. It’s not much. If anyone has scans of Waveforms manuals that they’d be willing to contribute, I’d be grateful.

First up is the scan of the Waveforms, Inc. Model 403 Audio Oscillator by jeffs01879.

Next, the scan of the Waveforms Model 510 Wide Range Audio Oscillator by Paul Carbone. This is a higher resolution version of the same scan that is on BAMA.

Finally, some excerpts from Howard M. Tremaine’s Audio Cyclopedia, second edition. Page 1266 contains a schematic for the Waveforms Model 401B Audio Oscillator. Page 1279 contains a schematic for a transistorized square wave generator, credited to Waveforms, Inc. It’s unclear if it is the schematic for a Waveforms product.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 12:39 am 

I have the Waveforms 520-A operators manual and schematic.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 8:34 pm 

harley1176 wrote:
I have the Waveforms 520-A operators manual and schematic.

Harley scanned them and I've put them up for download on my site:
https://www.byan-roper.org/steve/manual ... s-520A.pdf

I'll upload it to the usual test equipment manual repositories as well.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 9:15 pm 

The Waveforms catalog 14A from 1962 is now available in my manual archive, though not yet linked in to the index in the sidebar.
https://www.byan-roper.org/steve/manual ... 201962.pdf

I also have a two-page bulletin on the Waveforms Model 452A Transmission Measuring Set:
https://www.byan-roper.org/steve/manual ... lletin.pdf

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 1:25 am 

Thank you Steve for uploading and sharing these rare documents, especially the 452A Transmission Test Set bulletin.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 2:32 am 

Tubologic wrote:
Thank you Steve for uploading and sharing these rare documents, especially the 452A Transmission Test Set bulletin.

You’re welcome. You are lucky to have a 452A in your collection.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 11:22 am 

Steve, thanks for that excellent Waveforms catalogue!

PostPosted: Aug Thu 26, 2021 6:12 pm 

Tubologic wrote:
I have their very cool model 452A Transmission Measuring Set which includes an audio oscillator, AC VTVM and many switching facilities in a single 19" rack unit. Though not an Audio Precision it is usable for testing pro audio gear and it still works but a re-calibration is very likely in order now. If anyone here could help with a manual (or a link to) it would be greatly appreciated, I've never been able to find any infos or documents about this set.

I am seriously LUSTING after this piece now! Beautiful. Probably take me years to find one.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 7:20 pm 

8417 wrote:
Tubologic wrote:
I have their very cool model 452A Transmission Measuring Set which includes an audio oscillator, AC VTVM and many switching facilities in a single 19" rack unit. Though not an Audio Precision it is usable for testing pro audio gear and it still works but a re-calibration is very likely in order now. If anyone here could help with a manual (or a link to) it would be greatly appreciated, I've never been able to find any infos or documents about this set.

I am seriously LUSTING after this piece now! Beautiful. Probably take me years to find one.

Not only a beautiful piece but still very useful if you're working in pro or broadcast audio servicing. I like the many input/output options (balanced/unbalanced with selectable impedances...), calibrated levels and scales, etc... a well thought nice looking multi-purpose test equipment.

In over 15 years on eBay I've only seen one and I was the only bidder... (or maybe it was a B.I.N purchase, I can't remember), not a common piece for sure.

I'm still looking for the manual but to no avail so far...

PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 8:03 pm 

The Waveforms 452A looks like it is similar in function to the HP 3550A Portable Test Set:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=383019

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 6:00 am 

Alan Douglas wrote:
Sanborn chart recorders turn up from time to time.

Sanborn must have put considerable engineering effort into putting the maximum amount of mass into any given volume of available space. They have got to be the heaviest, by far, of any strip recorder or rack gear of any sort that I've had the displeasure of having to manhandle. Lots and lots of knobs and switches there, needed to perform the calibrations.
When properly cleaned and maintained, the older recorders from BRUSH were very reliable, and you could avoid almost all drift in the electronics by simply leaving them powered up. But if you let the ink dry out in the feed passages and/or styli, you will be facing a big job to remedy it. Acetone was your friend.
There was little fault to find with the HP thermals, save one galvo failure in three years of heavy use, and the high cost of the thermal paper. We used A LOT of it at Vandenberg, on telmemetry support ops for the Atlas, Titan, MX, and a number of "specialty" programs.
Sorry about the gab, but the mention of Sanborns triggered some fond and not so fond memories of working with/on them.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 6:16 am 

Elguapo511 wrote:
Just got a response from sanborn instrument amplifiers and that was a dead end.

They did say that another sanborn was acquired by hewlet packard. So maybe that’s a lead

I would look into the HP/Agilent/Keysight archives, most likely on microfiche for gear of that era.
There is discussion group, or there was one not too long ago, with a lot of active and retired HP/AG/KS engineers in attendance.
If you can't get a useful technical answer from that bunch, the question may not have needed be asked.
That is, and is not, a Joke, son...