Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Universal Electronics Power Supply Documentation? Help!
PostPosted: Mar Fri 31, 2017 3:52 pm 

I acquired this lovely Universal Electronics Model 520a regulated power supply for free. It's got a couple of under-chassis issues, so I've been snooping around online for documentation, but have hit a brick wall. It's an incredibly well-built unit, so I definitely want to get it going. The fellow I got it from was going to part it out for the iron, if you can imagine that! Thanks in advance for any help!

Post subject: Re: Universal Electronics Power Supply Documentation? Help!
PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 2:54 am 

BUMP!

Still looking for documentation. Spent an hour tracing out a schematic, and realized it's just too big of a job...I'd lose my mind. Can anybody help with a schematic?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 4:42 am 

I have a similar unit, the Dressen-Barnes 62-117. It uses a variac and a batch of power tubes in parallel as series pass elements to make regulated power.

In fact, mine is two units in one. 0 - 300V and 0 - 500V and you can put the two in series for 0 - 800V. The high voltage one is rated a few hundred mA and the low voltage half that. Mine has variable filament supply but no bias. You can reverse the polarity of the 300V side to get a negative voltage.

Nice unit but I've never used it. I have a schematic but it's a big one, too big to scan.

Bob

PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:49 pm 

Yes, your unit sounds very similar in general design. Mine uses large Triad power transformers and chokes, and 5881 tubes as the pass elements. It looks to have had some modifications or repairs done under the chassis, as there is evidence of wires having been cut and/or replaced. The iron looks to be good, so I may just have to power it up and see what happens if some documentation can't be sourced.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 6:10 pm 

You mean you haven't plugged it in yet? Such self control.

The worst that could happen would be bad capacitors. That's what fuses are for.

Oh, and mine had an intermittent meter switch that caused the output to fail. Just a simple toggle switch. It needed exercising, not replacement.

Bob

PostPosted: Apr Wed 01, 2020 2:51 am 

Well, I cleaned it, cleaned all of the tube sockets and populated it with tubes (8 tubes: 3 5881s, a 5R4, a 5Y3, a 6SH7 a 0D3 and a 0C3...amazed that I had them all on hand) and gave it a smoke test.
The HV came up fine, and seems to work, but I didn't test the regulation with a load just yet. The bias supply is dead, though. I may just backtrace from the bias voltage jack on the front panel, and see what I can uncover without having to trace out the whole circuit. The bias supply adjust is done through one of those A&B pots that are notorious for gumming up with age. It could be to blame. Will keep y'all posted.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 01, 2020 3:44 am 

Suggest you focus on the bias supply first. In many regulated tube power supplies, the bias supply provides internal bias voltages as well as the bias output.

There is much info on regulated tube supplies in Electronic Instruments, Vol 21 of the MIT Rad Lab series.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/thre ... fs.132329/

-Chuck

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 3:11 am 

This one might have a completely separate bias supply (since there are two VR tubes). Bias supply is usually just a rectifier and 150V VR tube, then the pot.

Or it may be similar to say Heath PS-4, which used two VR tubes.