Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tek 2215 scope, no detent on cal knobs.
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 6:06 am 

Well I lucked out a Goodwill last week and got a Tek 2215 scope for one whole dollar. No power cord or probe, but I have plenty of both. I downloaded the service manual from Tek and researched the 2200 series scopes in general and the 2215 specifically. Opened it up and did a quick look see, set it up per the troubleshooting guide in the service manual. Plugged it in and turned it on fully expecting a problem with the power supply and got a trace! Checked the low voltages anyway and all were within spec. Even the focus was working properly which is a known issue with the 2215. Everything seems to be working but it has one issue. On all three CAL knobs I can't feel a detent as I turn them. I don't know if there is a section in the service manual about the mechanical aspects of the knobs that covers the detent mechanism, trying to read the manual on my phone is too much for these tired eyes. Does anyone know what may be missing or out of adjustment that I can check?

Post subject: Re: Tek 2215 scope, no detent on cal knobs.
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 6:16 pm 

I can't recall any Tek manuals that detail the mechanics of how their switches work. Chances are pretty good they've been forced past their detents, and probably snapped off some plastic piece. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find that a detent is just bent over, but I feel you'll have to do some detective work on your own.

:)

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 5:26 pm 

Well I did find instructions for removing the cal knobs and re-installing them to service different boards. I noticed that none of them lined up correctly and guessed that there was still some clockwise travel left. I hated doing it but hey its a 1 dollar scope, I grabbed on and got them all to click into the cal position. I have never had a scope that was this hard to get into the detent position. Thanks Barry for responding.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 7:33 pm 

That's a nice scope. AND a very nice price. I got two of them from the local Goodwill but had to bid on them. 15 and one for 17. Mine both worked but needed the switches cleaned.

When I picked them up the guy at the counter said they had a whole pallet load of them.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 5:26 pm 

In Arizona, the Goodwills put one of 8 color labels on the donated items depending on when they first go to the floor. The scope has a green label and $149.99 cost. They run 50% off sales every other weekend and various other discount days through the week. When its about time to start putting the particular tag on new items, they run the old ones off for a full week at 50% off then offer $1.00 day on Thursday. At that price, it went unsold through 3 half off days and the full half off week. I was there when they opened on Thursday and got it for one dollar. I see this quite often where the price is way out of line and they end up selling something for only a buck.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 3:11 pm 

Our local store doesn't sell any electronics in the store but puts them all on ebay or to the scrapper. Once marked for the scrapper they can't come back out. I've seen some very interesting stuff going to the scrapper.