Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 26, 2020 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stark vintage condenser Analyzer Interesting
PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 6:55 am 

HI Hi,
Stark 9-22 vintage condenser Analyzer
Came across one of these, Interesting , as I can't find any info. No manual, schematic, Na-da ??
Anyone ever seen a manual or Schematic?

Attachments:
$_59.jpg
$_59.jpg [ 327.96 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Have a great day
Sampler_one.

Post subject: Re: Stark vintage condenser Analyzer Interesting
PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 7:00 am 

Very interesting. I see an error in the panel marking for .0005 should be .00005.

Have you opened it?

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 9:40 am 

Stark usually built test equipment under license from US companies such as Hickock. They didn't design their own. The Stark version is usually nearly identical to the original US version. The trick is in trying to cross reference it to the original that it's copied from.

The best source of Stark documentation, that I'm aware of, is here:
http://www.pacifictv.ca/wanted.htm
But they don't list your model.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 1:44 pm 

Quote:
Stark usually built test equipment under license from US companies such as Hickock. They didn't design their own. The Stark version is usually nearly identical to the original US version.

I'm not so sure I buy that. While it is true that Stark's transconductance tube testers were derived from Hickok models and built under license, I think they did their own design on other things, this capacitor tester/insulation resistance meter being a case in point. If there is a US version of it, it must be exceedingly scarce as I've been watching these things for decades and have never seen one exactly like it. I suspect that with a meter, eye tube, and large neon bulb it was probably expensive. They might have sold a few to commercial and industrial users but the average radio/TV repair shop would have passed it by. If one didn't actually need the insulation resistance function for some reason, a Heathkit C-1 for $19.50 would look a lot more reasonable even if you did have to spend an evening putting it together.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 10:08 pm 

Looks like it could be a variation on the Sprague units with simplified switching (single function switch and multiple binding posts) instead of the more complex push button array.

John

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 10:24 pm 

I am curious about the A B C D positions, what they do. I can see the 1 2 3 okay as capacitance ranges and the voltages are obvious, although there isn't a clue as to how to measure. And the meter seems unneeded if the switch selects volts.

They didn't add the extra high capacitance range or any resistance ranges.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 13, 2020 11:47 pm 

The fine print under the knob says "Elect-Leakage" so I assume it sets the sensitivity of the leakage test circuit for different kinds of capacitors and leakage tests. I have no hard info on this unit but wonder about the "infinite resistance voltmeter." It could be a VTVM, but I suspect it may actually be a variation of the slide-back circuit in which the voltage being measured is balanced against a bias voltage provided by the power supply in the unit. When the two voltages are equal, no current can flow as indicated by the meter not deflecting when connected to the source being measured, and there is no loading on it. Hickok used a similar infinite resistance "slide back" voltmeter concept in some of its 1930s bench VOMs.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jan Tue 14, 2020 1:19 am 

Slide back voltmeters are billed as not drawing any current but it's not so. The least noise/instability on the line and some current will flow. Same is true for electrostatic voltmeters. If the signals are pure and clean, yes they draw no current. Plus, the accuracy of the null (in the former) has to be figured in.

This unit remains a mystery in some ways. If I had it, I'd run some tests to see what's going on, and even try to reverse engineer it. It looks like a fun project.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 14, 2020 1:41 am 

I am still waiting for the seller to S____ or get off the pot as they say.. It is a mystery but I believe an interesting one. I want to buy it for the sake of just knowing more about it..
Ill report back if the sale goes through.
Regards to ALL!

Have a great day
Sampler_one.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 21, 2020 5:40 am 

well, it should be here on the 27th of january but ill be away for about two weeks.. I have searched high and low for a schematic or a document and still ZERO.
should be fun.
LOL

Have a great day
Sampler_one.