Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 11:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Letter To B&K Worked (Old Scope)
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 3:42 am 

This is related to my earlier post about a B&K model 1440 scope but due to the outcome I thought it worth a new thread.

I've been trying to get info on the 1440 scope for years. Each time I filled out an online form or sent an email I got the same response - that data on a product that old old was no longer available. This time I took a different approach and mailed an actual letter to B&K.

That worked. I mailed the letter on 6 Nov and received an email this evening (14 Nov) that had the schematic and parts list attached.

Nice to know there are still some who will help even if there is no concrete benefit for them.

Thanks B&K.

RRM

p.s. According to the letter I received the 1440 went out of production in 1974. That was a short run since I have a 1972 magazine article about it being a new model.

Post subject: Re: Letter To B&K Worked (Old Scope)
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 11:32 am 

That kind of service would make me a loyal customer!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 12:48 am 

Only 1972? Wow that's lazy. They can't be bothered to make the interns go to the filing cabinets, scan all the old stuff and put it online?

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:20 am 

A bit late to the game, but the B&K 1460 is a similar scope, lacking the digital readout of the 1440. Manuals are all over the web for the 1460.

EDIT: IXNAY - the 1440 and 1465 are similar - the 1440 having recurrent sweep and the 1465 having triggered sweep. Both have the Cali-brain readout.

I've used both - the 1460 being my brother's scope we used for VCR (PG pulse) work, and the 1440 I checked out for a friend that was selling his. Both operate the same as basic scopes - the digital "brain" readout sets the 1440 apart. Great scopes, quite reliable.

Now that you have the data for the 1440, please consider sharing it over on BAMA or the Internet Archive, both awash with B&K manuals.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:46 am 

Yes, there are some companies that still think Customer Service is a good thing. I am the lead Customer Service Technician for the company I work for. Can't tell you how many times I get Responses from people who asked for information on Power supplies we built twenty to thirty years ago. And I send them the needed information they need thanking me. It dose not hurt to be helpful. And in the future they will remember who helped and return for newer products.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:08 am 

Good to know that B&K has good customer service. Fluke and Keysight have been fantastic as well. Sencore was pretty poor. They no longer support their old stuff and they steer you to a former employee who charges mucho dinero for manuals, schematics, and parts.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:27 am 

For a while there was a website that offered B&K manuals for sale but it seems to have disappeared. Of course that's neither here nor there for me since I'm not about to pay the typical $20 for a manual on a piece of free gear.

RRM

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 2:20 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
...I'm not about to pay the typical $20 for a manual on a piece of free gear.
RRM

I hear that...

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:22 pm 

I'll have to send them a letter; I am still looking for a manual for my 1251 generator. It was cheap, so spending a few dollars for a manual is not out of the question.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:44 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
I'll have to send them a letter; I am still looking for a manual for my 1251 generator. It was cheap, so spending a few dollars for a manual is not out of the question.

I don't know if this will help but here's one for the 1251B Signal Generator...

https://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downl ... manual.pdf