Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 29, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 260 meter issue series 6 voltage sticks...
PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 9:23 pm 

I gte no reading on milliamps. I then go through the voltage changes while on a/c and the probes in a 110 a/c outlet. The meter stops at about 1/3 and stays there despite changing setting from 2.5 to 250. The resistance does not work at all. This was all after a fall. I did check the meter movement resistance it is 1800k. I am at a loss. It did fall off a ladder so anything delicate could be gone but the PCB looks mint

Post subject: Re: 260 meter issue series 6 voltage sticks...
PostPosted: Dec Sat 28, 2019 10:15 pm 

A sticky meter needle can be caused by a few things. The first thing to check is if the needle got bent such that it's rubbing against the dial face. The fix for that is to open up the meter face and bend out the needle slightly. The next cause can be static electricity on the cover magnetically interfering with the needle. Rubbing the face cover with a dryer sheet usually fixes that. The next up is little flakes of metal junk inside the meter throwing off the magnetics in there. To fix this one you need good eyes or magnification along with steady hands. Take the meter out of the appliance, then take the face cover off. Use some non-magnetic tweezers or masking/painter's tape to grab the little pieces of junk and get them out of there. It helps to fold the tape back on itself to make a piece long and rigid enough to reach the pieces of junk inside. Or use the tape with the tweezers.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 1:23 am 

I assume this is the same Simpson 260 from your other thread? You stated there that you replaced the case, so it's not just the fall itself that may have caused this issue. What steps exactly did you take to replace the front panel? Were things unsoldered or wires cut to make the transfer? Lots of things could go wrong there.

You may also have cracked the printed board. Or knocked a wire loose. Or thrown the range switch out of alignment preventing good contact in some areas. Or just about anything else.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 2:44 am 

A video

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 8:11 pm 

ng8264723 wrote:
A video

New users can't post links. I had to wait like a day IIRC.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 8:39 pm 

1800k? You mean over a megohm? The coil should be much less than that. A more reasonable resistance would be around 1000 Ohms. How did you measure it?

You peobably burned out the coil what with all the fumbling around. It's a common result of being too casual with the meter.

Take it one step at a time. Put the meter on the 100 microampere range and pump some current through, say most of 100 microamperes. You can get this with a 1.5 Volt battery and a 15k resistor in series.

If that does not cause the pointer to move, you have a burned out meter coil. If the meter works, you are good to go to the next step, measuring a voltage.

If the pointer moves but doesn't go beyond some point midscale, it's hanging up on something. As mentioned, a bent pointer, debris in the magnetic gap, or a damaged pivot.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 11:43 pm 

I couldn't get the video to post.
Dnag
It was too big

PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2019 11:47 pm 

Don’t post videos. Just stills. I don’t think the site accepts videos anyway

If you measured the meter by slapping an ohmmeter across it you likely fried it