Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 12, 2019 5:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hickok model 288X help
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:27 am 

I am in the process of restoring a Hickok 288X signal generator. The problem I am having is in the A-F oscillator section. All of the schematics that I have found so far show a 6SJ7 as the oscillator tube, the unit I have uses a 6SK7 and a few added components that are not shown on the literature that I have. Most of the circuit looks factory and some looks as if it was repaired or altered at some time. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know that Hickok was known to make revisions during production without documentation, perhaps this circuit was used in the model 288AX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Ed

Post subject: Re: Hickok model 288X help
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 12:12 pm 

[quote]I know that Hickok was known to make revisions during production without documentation/quote]

The bane of the would-be antique equipment restorer. ;-). Sometimes you have to just draw out the "mods" yourself and hope you can reverse engineer what Hickok had in mind....

Post subject: Re: Hickok model 288X help
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:35 pm 

Ed,

I don't know whether you stumbled on this one or not, but I found the military version of the Hickok generator very helpful for theory of operation and troubleshooting information. It does not document the use of the SK7, but I can confirm that the three 288AX units I have all have the SK7 tube in them. The manual is mildly confusing because it covers 3 versions of the instrument, and freely jumps around among them.

Regards,

Jim

Attachments:
hickok 288 military ts465-u.pdf [15.92 MiB]
Downloaded 7 times