Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 20, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: B&K Model 750 Test Equipment Calibrator
PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 2:51 pm 

I rediscovered a B&K Model 750 and am looking for any information on its use.

There was an old ARF discussion in November 2003, but the web site (as I expected) was not working.

Contact with B&K brought out a bit of humor from the company rep. It seems that all the old documentation (hardcopy) had been purged.

Most of the functions are common sense to use. But there is a RF function that is confusing. Contact with an old USN cal tech brought out a reference to reference oscillator alignment, but his memory was a bit fuzzy on the correct procedure to use that function.

Any info on this unit would be appreciated.

Dennis Robert

Attachments:
B&K 750 1.jpg
B&K 750 1.jpg [ 385.95 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Post subject: Re: B&K Model 750 Test Equipment Calibrator
PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 5:21 pm 

Does this help any? https://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/manuals/en-us/750_manual.pdf

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 6:05 pm 

Barry: Totally different piece of equipment. My calibrator is tube based.

Thank you for trying to help.

Dennis Robert

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 9:05 pm 

I have one - the RF function is merely a crystal oscillator - you plug in the crystal in the front, max (IIRC) is 50Mhz, with harmonics to 300MHz.

Germane:

viewtopic.php?p=2747046#p2747046

I've got more RF features in my sig gen, so the RF function isn't used by me. Have you replaced the mercury cell inside?

I have a fragile (crispy flaky paper) manual and schematic, lemme know if I can look up anything for you. My center-zero meter is bad, and I've looked for a compatible one with little luck (or effort!). I have other calibrators I use, so the 750 is kind of a shelf queen right now. It was never intended to be a super-accurate calibrator, but one that could be used to calibrate service-level instruments of the era.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 9:23 pm 

Brian: Thanks for that info. I did not know about that battery. I will have to check on that.

I have always liked B & K test equipment. Their products were all that I could afford at that time.

The 750 is a nice looking unit. I thought it could complement my Heathkit scope calibrator.

Dennis Robert

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 7:59 am 

There is a description of functions in Servicing and calibrating Test Equipment.
By Milton S. Kiver (Howard Sam's Photofact publication TEK-1) 1st edition, first printing. September, 1956.

"An economical, highly accurate source of AC and DC voltages is available in an instrument which has recently appeared on the market.
This unit shown in fig. 74 is the economical B&K Model 750 test equipment calibrator; and it provides a wide range of AC and DC voltages with an accuracy of +/- 1 percent or better. For the DC, voltages values are: 2,5,25,100, and 300 volts. For AC, all but the 2-volt value is available. With these standard voltages, the technician can check the accuracy of every voltage range of nearly all currently available volt-ohm-meters and vacuum-tube voltmeters. The accuracy prevails even when the instrument to be checked possesses a sensitivity of only 1,000 ohms per volt.
The model 750 can also be used as a test standard for checking signal, sweep, and marker generators, and oscilloscopes...."

Manual or copy for $8 here http://www.vintagemanuals.com/manuals.php?manufacturer=B%26K