Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 24, 2020 10:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendations on oscilloscope?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 6:28 pm 

Hi,

I do some radio work but these days am mainly trying to learn about hifi and amp building. I would like to have an oscilloscope that will allow me to analyze the signals produced by my stuff ... but am not sure where to start.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on reasonably priced new or used scopes that might suit me. I don't need a ton of features or functionality; I just want to be able to learn on something simple, that still has the functions I need. I would imagine I woudn't need more than a 20mhz scope.

So, any recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ted

Post subject: Re: Recommendations on oscilloscope?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 7:27 pm 

You can get any number of 20-50mHZ scopes for dirt cheap. I'd look for Hitachi, Leader, B&K, even Heathkit... all of them made pretty similar instruments. You should probably get at least one with triggered sweep. You won't really need sweep delay, but most will probably have that also.

Hamfests, swap meets, even the occasional garage scale. I've got a few that no one wants if you want to come get one. ;-). Some need a little maint, some actually work.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 7:57 pm 

This Hitachi model V-152B 15 MHz scope in Westerly, RI looks like a good deal at $40. It has a trace and comes with probes. I hear Hitachi scopes don't have any custom components, so it should be maintainable.
https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 03406.html

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 3:51 am 

If you want new and cheap, and I mean really cheap, there is this one on Amazon. I never heard of the brand but if Amazon gives you a 30 day return, might be something to play with... plus you get a $15 coupon!

https://www.amazon.com/Oscilloscopes-Os ... 689&sr=8-1

Attachment:
cheapscope.jpeg
cheapscope.jpeg [ 198.09 KiB | Viewed 986 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 4:14 am 

^^^ Nice... x10 probe is limited to 300 volts, caution...

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 4:38 am 

While I have a digital scope and swear by it, as a beginner you need to have some understanding of how they work. If you are looking at an unknown frequency and set the sweep speed wrong (and I mean way wrong) you can get some pretty weird displays that are no where near the waveform that is actually being measured. (due to sampling aliasing).
Just a small warning, but digital scopes are great for rock steady display, and storage of waveform for later analysis.

Last edited by pauls.ironhorse on Nov Tue 12, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 6:06 am 

So true is the importance of setting the scope up correctly prior to testing but a new user can use "Auto Setup" or in the case of this sub $90 cheapy, use the "Auto Set" button. This unknown scope may be manufactured by the same folks as Hantek. They are so similar if not exactly the same. I would think this is better than one of those tiny 3" handheld scopes that is around the same price range. If interested, I would contact Amazon just for added assurances that the seller is legit.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 6:11 pm 

I agree this is a Hantek model DS05072 and the same model number as the one on Amazon. The only difference is the Hantek name is is missing. My guess is that Hantek is trying to get rid of surplus stock that is not selling at well over $200. For a beginner interested in using it for audio I would still prefer analog, but for someone that wants to go digital this would be a great buy. Its being sold by Amazon, so if it turns out bad there should be no problem returning it to Amazon.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 6:38 pm 

Of course the catch is that if he doesn't know how to use a scope he won't know it isn't working right until
it is too late to return it.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 6:58 pm 

Either way I would guess he will be here for help and that's true for either a used analog or new digital. Of course the analog is simper to learn, but buying a used one is high risk as is evident on on this Forum and rarely do you get to return one.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 8:15 pm 

That $99 scope caught the attention of folks over at the eevblog. I think one or two are considering ordering it and will be offering detailed opinions once it's arrived. It does have a fairly limited sample memory, but otherwise doesn't look bad for the money. The FFT might be good for distortion analysis, but I'm not sure it would really be very useful given the sample memory.

There's some speculation it was built by a Hantek supplier.

At that price, it's use it until it breaks then throw it away.

A Tektronix 422 would be a good scope if you were looking for a quality built analog scope. It's one of the few dual channel Tek scopes without delayed sweep, but it's built like a tank.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 12:27 am 

The Rigol DS1054Z is also popular online. I got mine a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it. It was supposed to come from the factory at 50 MHz, but the seller already hacked it up to 100 MHz.

That being said, you might just want to camp out your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. These things come up for sale every so often.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 11:50 am 

I too would recommend an analog as your first scope.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 12:54 pm 

I have all kind of scopes in my collection.
My favorite for audio work is a very glowing Tube Tek, 500 series, with a 2 channel plugin and a 1L5 spectrum analyzer.
This requires some place beside the workbench.

Tek 422 and 453, 454 are also a good tip, they are to find for smallest money.
Also the 5000 series comming from the universitys are amazing.
Martin

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 6:03 pm 

I have several of the Tek 500 series and have had numerous other vintage and newer scopes.

My go-to, and a scope I just love, is the Tek 2247A. One of the last true analog scopes Tek made, it also features built-in digital timing, frequency, and voltage measurement, so also serves as a precision frequency and voltage standard - at least, precision enough for what I do.

I have seen them in good shape for just a few hundred on the bay.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:32 pm 

I have gravitated from a 453 to a 465 to a 2245. All fine instruments. If I need wider bandwidth I have a 2440 and an HP digital that goes to 500 MHz.

I would like an rf millivoltmeter.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 10:35 pm 

Diverted wrote:
Hi,

I do some radio work but these days am mainly trying to learn about hifi and amp building. I would like to have an oscilloscope that will allow me to analyze the signals produced by my stuff ... but am not sure where to start.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on reasonably priced new or used scopes that might suit me. I don't need a ton of features or functionality; I just want to be able to learn on something simple, that still has the functions I need. I would imagine I woudn't need more than a 20mhz scope.

So, any recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ted

check Craigslist, not sure how close to you:
https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 03406.html

all RI: https://providence.craigslist.org/searc ... cilloscope

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 1:55 pm 

Second Barry suggestion for triggered sweep with added emphasis: Required. Which leaves out many Heathkit such as the Heath 10-102 in the search provided by glue-ru.

That Hitachi 152 for $40 would be perfect. I've had a couple of Hitachi and wished I had kept them. True the 'simpler' Hitachi used plain vanilla parts. Also for $40 it's not too painful to just throw it away and find another

You can get what you want for $100 or less.

I see a Tektronix 912 in the search for $60. If it's working the Tektronix 9xx series is under-appreciated. Very user repairable.

See a Goldstar and B&K too. Both fill the bill.

Any of the old scopes you need to see it work before purchase.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:12 pm 

These kind of threads cost me money. I just bought another scope while looking for one to suggest to the OP.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:26 am 

I was thinking of purchasing the Digital DS05072 on Amazon that mr.fab mentioned, but tonight they are no longer available. Oh well maybe I just missed another bargain, but it seems strange hey are already gone.