Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 27, 2020 4:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Generaal Radio (GenRad) Replacement Insulators?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 9:31 pm 

Anybody have a clue where to find replacements for the plastic feed-through insulators widely used on ca. 1960´s vintage GenRad gear, like their decade boxes, etc.?

Of course I know I can just improvise "roll your owns" from acrylic panel stock, or even certain plastic bottle caps, but I'd really like to get authentics, if possible.

Thanks,

^^;;^^

Post subject: Re: Generaal Radio (GenRad) Replacement Insulators?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 11:28 pm 

Are you referring to the insulators at the base of the binding post? It's typically part of the binding post, and not available separately. We used Superior Electric BP20-series binding posts to replace broken ones. Dunno if Superior still makes the line of binding posts. Pomona and Johnson Components make most of what's out there now (at least quality binding posts....)

I can't think of anyone concerned with maintaining original binding posts on those - most folks use them, and utility over looks, they say.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 5:05 am 

Greetings to Morcegao and the Forum:

If you post a photo of your broken item and / or a similar intact one, someone may have an OEM binding post assembly in their junk box.

Regards,

PostPosted: Nov Thu 28, 2019 11:03 pm 

Yes, a picture would be most helpful.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 1:10 am 

Sol wrote:
Yes, a picture would be most helpful.

Unfortunately, they are not just broken, but missing entirely.

Near as I can tell, the proper insulators would be the same as the ones widely used on GR equipment during the 1960's or so. They are 2-part conical plastic assemblies (gray under the panel, and gray, red or black on top). The post that passes through is typically soldered to bus-bar type wiring inside, and terminates in a combination "banana" socket / threaded binding post above the panel. These were just about universally used on GR decade boxes and many other items for at least 20 years or so.

^^;;^^

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 1:20 am 

The insulators are NOT availabel separately. I ET Labs, the successor of General Radio offers complete Binding posts for replacement:

https://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/Datasheets/BP-1000.pdf

They are costly, and Surprise! The same as the Superior Electric Binding Posts, except there is a significant savings with the Superior Electric binding posts.

I worked in four metrology labs, and we never ordered GR replacements. The NADEPs all used the Superior Electric posts, so we followed suit. 100% Fit/Form/function match.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 2:14 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
The insulators are NOT availabel separately. I ET Labs, the successor of General Radio offers complete Binding posts for replacement:

https://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/Datasheets/BP-1000.pdf

They are costly, and Surprise! The same as the Superior Electric Binding Posts, except there is a significant savings with the Superior Electric binding posts.

I worked in four metrology labs, and we never ordered GR replacements. The NADEPs all used the Superior Electric posts, so we followed suit. 100% Fit/Form/function match.

THANKS!

Those BP-1000 series posts look like they should be exact replacements for the earlier GR posts. BUT, like you said, the pricing from IET is "Request Quote" which I assume means BIG BUCKS. Plus, it looks like I would need to replace the entire assembly for each terminal and re-solder the internal connection ... I'm not sure exactly what kind of solder GR used, but it doesn't look like the familiar Sn/Pb stuff, so I'd be real reluctant to disturb it. The box I'm looking to fix up is a 4-decade voltage divider (0 to .9999X) with 6 terminals, so I guess I'll just get some polycarbonate stock and "whittle" some improvised spacers that I can slide in and tighten into place without re-soldering ... not very elegant, but ought to do the job.

I don't know why the previous owner would have removed the top insulators and pushed the terminals down into the box, but it looks to have been intentional, not accidental, like a fall from a bench top or something. Anyhow, I figure that putting it back to "like new" would cost way more than it's worth (at least to me).

Thanks again,

^^;;^^

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 3:40 pm 

What color do you think the originals were?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 3:42 pm 

Also, more than likely the reason they were removed was so that they could be cleaned. The old nickel plate tended to turn green eventually.