Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 30, 2020 12:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sencore LC53 Debug / what does this pot do?
PostPosted: Jan Mon 20, 2020 3:47 pm 

Thank you for the additional info; every little bit helps to understand this thing.

I don't have a bridge, or another instrument that I know is correct:
-- Fluke 79 series II
-- AADE L/C meter IIB -- ok for small caps and inductors, but sometimes just wacky-wrong
-- LC102, known to be way out of cal on some ranges. This one gets cal'd next!

So my methodology involved using tight-tolerance caps and inductors which I could locate for a low price. Since the best inductors I could find were 5% (aside from the 250uH homemade coil which an ARF member measured for me on his bridge), I had to come up with my own fuzzy math method (probably similar to least squares), to identify which of my meters was the best to trust for a particular range. And even then, I applied "correction factors." Since I'm not claiming to have properly calibrated the unit, this is good enough for me: unknown inductors that thoroughly confuse the AADE are properly identified with the LC53, and capacitors are measured fairly accurately, if I am to believe the tolerances on the parts I purchased.

I'm about finished with the debug and calibration. I guess, if it quits working in the future, I'll dig back into it, and re-open this thread to document it for others' future efforts.

Post subject: Re: Sencore LC53 Debug / what does this pot do?
PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 4:04 am 

Hello DaveInNC,
glad you got working my sencore unit is not working at this minute I am trying to get up and running again