Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hickok Model 440 Transistor Tester Questions
PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2020 5:17 pm 

Attached is a photo of a Hickok 440 tester I got my hands on. It's is excellent condition and has no probes, cables or paperwork, other than the slide-out card you see. The machine is made to be operated in conduction with an oscilloscope. As you can see, all the jacks are some sort of miniature banana jacks. So, since modern scopes have BNC connectors, any home made cables would need to have BNC on one end, and banana plugs on the other. But what kind of cable? Wouldn't any cable need to be 50 ohm shielded?
I can find no manual on this machine anywhere, whether free or purchased. Wonder where I can dig up the manual on this. Thank you.

Attachments:
Hickok 440.jpg
Hickok 440.jpg [ 458.05 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hickok Model 440 Transistor Tester Questions
PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2020 5:24 pm 

I think you’re stuck, Henry.

You might as well just send it to me. :D

Seriously, I hope you can scare up doc's, as that’s an interesting piece I don’t remember seeing before.

If talk is cheap, it's because the supply usually exceeds the demand.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2020 9:12 pm 

It's a transistor curve tracer. While not precisely a transistor tester, it does "test" them by displaying a set of operating curves on an oscilloscope that pretty much tell you not only good/bad, but also the transistor's characteristics.

It seems to cross to a Hickok 5400, but I cannot find a manual for that one either. I"m guessing it was built for classroom use.

Good luck. If all else fails, you could probably draw out the schematic. Curve tracers are basically a stair step generator, a few power supplies, a bunch of switching, and X/Y scope driver. Not exactly simple, but if all else fails.......

PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2020 9:36 pm 

Thank you. I realize this is an obscure machine and i'm not going to get a lot of posts on it. But along the left side, would it be agreed these 3 banana jacks would need 50ohm cables terminated with BNC's for my scope, with the shield of the 2 cable going to the Ground banana jack? What about the 3 (6) jacks along the bottom need for cables. Those would probably be alligator clips, but would the wire need to also be shielded or 50 ohm? If it was shielded, then I suppose to just use the screw nearby?

PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2020 9:56 pm 

There is no need for fancy cables. Simple wire connections to the oscilloscope and device under test will work. I presume the repetition rate of the signals is in the low or middle audio range so no high frequency precautions are called for.

If it works, it would be a fun toy. I was just in conversation with a friend about this very subject and I concluded that, while a curve tracer seems like a reasonable device, I don't think I would use one (after the intital play period). The setup takes longer than the test, especially including getting it out of the closet, hooking it to a display, twisting the knobs as needed, and then putting it all away again.

Over many years of bench work I have found the simplest semiconductor test with an Ohmmeter seems to be all I ever have needed. One step above that is the little Mega328 Chinese multitest box which tells me the lead connections and beta.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2020 11:00 pm 

This does not use BNC connectors or coaxial cables. Just plain wire test leads with banana plugs. It's not RF or low level, and definitely not 50 ohm or 75 ohm.

Aside from taking measurements on individual transistors, it has two sets of test jacks and transistor sockets so you can compare a known transistor to an unknown one to match them.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Mar Sat 21, 2020 3:26 am 

A germane lab report on the 440:

https://archive.org/details/197509Popul ... rve+tracer

PostPosted: Mar Sat 21, 2020 3:30 am 

Download the 2 manual below one of them is close to the Hickok. Plus they work the
same way.

http://tubularelectronics.com/Heath_Man ... 21-ops.pdf

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/b&k/501a/

Jimmie

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 6:25 pm 

Back in the day, a local distributor carried Hickok. I lusted after several of their instruments but had no money to buy.

I did pick up some brochures including one for the Model 440:

Attachments:
Hickok 440 pg1.jpg
Hickok 440 pg1.jpg [ 436.69 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]
Hickok 440 pg2.jpg
Hickok 440 pg2.jpg [ 424.98 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]