Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 5:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Superior Inst. Co. TV-10/11 oddness.
PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 8:31 am 

Picked up a TV-10 off ebay. Had a bad pot that has been replaced

It seems to work ok.

However, looking at the setup charts the "P" switch seems to always be connected to G1. Have checked 4 different tubes, all have G1 as the plate in the setup. Plate is grounded to K.

If I swap the P pin for the real plate, I get a very low reading, like 5%.

Can't find docs on the TV-10, just the TV-11. There are differences in values. TV11 says meter is 5ma/10 ohms and I measure 6.4ma/20 ohms full scale. There is some thin wire bundled in heat shrink as a shunt on the meter. The meter itself is 500ua.

I may redo the resistor values for the TV-11 and add the extra cap. Then calibrate the meter for 5ma.

I don't like the idea of running several ma through the grid of the tube when the max plate current is near the same value.

Yes it will test tubes but I would expect it to test the plate. I guess this is a hack as the voltage is too low to get enough plate current.

Post subject: Re: Superior Inst. Co. TV-10/11 oddness.
PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 5:01 pm 

Most emission testers tie all the elements together and run tubes as diodes. Since the grid is closest to the cathode it takes most of the current. The tester is supposed to limit the current so as not to destroy the tube.

RRM

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 5:09 pm 

My PACO 660 ties the grids to the plate like most testers.

Just find it odd the plate is tied to the cathode in this tester.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 7:03 pm 

Well, I wired it up as the TV-11 schematic.

Needed to turn up the line adjust cal pot and rheostat all the way up to get to the line center. The needle vibrates some.

I think there are errors on the schematic. The added 0.5uf cap does not seem right. I also think the condenser test jack needs to be on the other side of the rectifier. as the Neon bulb would have to have DC to test capacitors.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 7:44 pm 

I really don't understand what you are trying to achieve, you had a working tester and now you want to modify it because you feel it was not designed properly. Thousands of testers were made with this design and they all worked fine for what they were designed. They were designed to measure cathode emission by applying a limited current between the cathode and any other element or elements.
The rectifier is only for the line adjust function, it does not supply any voltage for the shorts or condenser test. If you study and understand the schematic you will see this. There are no errors in the schematic.

DM

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 8:16 pm 

The results did not seem right, I get a reading of just into good on almost any tube.

There is no data on the TV-10. The shorts test seemed way too sensitive. Since there is a schematic for the TV-11 and a way to calibrate the voltage, I decided the change the resistors to match the TV-11.

It was minor changes to the resistors and recalibrating the meter to 5ma. Now test results seem to match my PACO tester. Just the line adjust seems off.

Well: put a scope on the meter:
Attachment:
paco1.jpg
paco1.jpg [ 209.79 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

Seems the selenium is breaking down, no wonder meter vibrated.

Replaced with 1N4004:
Attachment:
paco2.jpg
paco2.jpg [ 191.01 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

That is a rectified signal. Now can calibrate the line voltage. Still the 0.5 cap gives an odd waveform and I don't see how the condenser test could work as shown on the schematic.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 8:21 pm 

I guess I thought the condenser test would test using DC. The manual says the bulb will flash once, as if charging up. As drawn, it feeds AC to the condenser then through the neon bulb. It would light except for very small caps.

Routing the rectifier to the COND terminal will feed DC. Any leakage would cause the bulb to turn on or flash. This makes sens the need to add the 0.5uf cap to have a constant DC for condenser testing (TV10 does not have feature.).

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 8:58 pm 

SHenion wrote:
....... Just the line adjust seems off........

The way to fix this is to rework the rectifier circuit until the filament voltages are about right when the line adjust is set with a tube inserted, say 6.5 or so with a 6L6 or some other tube that pulls about the same filament current. You won't be able to get all the other voltages to track exactly but this should get things in the right ball park.

The way I do this is to set the line adjust pot to the mid point and then tweak things until I get the desired filament voltage.

Remember that the tube charts were made with bogey tubes.

RRM

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 9:25 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
The way I do this is to set the line adjust pot to the mid point and then tweak things until I get the desired filament voltage.

Remember that the tube charts were made with bogey tubes.

RRM

Thats how I adjusted my PACO 660 that there is little calibration info. Just did the same on the TV-10. As it was, the line adjust barely moved the meter; as voltage went up. meter went down. Fix the bad rectifier an now have normal operation.