Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 2:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HP 410B Repair
PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 6:46 pm 

I am working on a HP410B VTVM. The filter capacitor shorted and took out my 6X4 rectifier tube. I don't have a spare. Would it be
recommended to replace the tube with silicon diodes, of which I have plenty? Thanks for any opinions.
Wes
K5APL

Post subject: Re: HP 410B Repair
PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 7:41 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:18 am 

You could stick a couple of diodes in there as a temporary expedient to see if the rest of the meter works, but leaving them in there permanently could prove regrettable. The 410B was designed and calibrated for a 6X4; with diodes you could get more power transformer heating due to higher peak currents in the HV winding, higher B+ voltages and the resulting need for extensive re-calibration, and maybe slamming the meter when the power is first turned on since the B+ voltage will come up instantly with diodes while the rest of the tubes still have to warm up.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:12 am 

I was thinking about the start of the issue...the filter capacitors shorting and taking out the 6X4...

Would it make sense to make sure the transformer is still OK before going too much farther?

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:38 am 

I haven't heard of a shortage of 6X4s. It's always best to keep things the way they were designed unless there is a known problem that needs to be fixed.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 4:55 am 

I have heard of a few 410B power transformers taken out by shorted 6X4's, but this rectifier tube isn't ran hard at all in this application so it's rare. But it's a good idea to check the 300V transformer secondary voltages before moving forward. 6X4's are a $10-12 item all day, and as is the case with anything HP best to never change the circuit design unless there is no other option.

-Mark-

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 6:28 am 

I wouldn't be all that concerned about using diodes but I'd add resistance after them to get the voltage in the right region. I'd also check to see if the filament voltage went up to any significant degree without the 6X4 load.

Look for a 6X4 and none of this will matter. $5 at Radio Electric Supply.

RRM

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 7:14 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I have a 410B with diodes bridged across the 6X4 socket. Been that way for years with no ill effects. I am skeptical of the peak current being hard on the transformer issue. Peak current is peak current... RMS current is something else. The peak currents may be higher, but the amount of ENERGY supplied by the transformer over time is the same. Divide by time and the RMS current will be the same for both rectifiers. The fact that the voltage will be a bit higher is the only reason to worry about the current; the additional heating effects (which is what will kill the transformer) are negligible.

True, the filter cap sees quite a bit of voltage until the tubes heat, but the one in my 410 seems to have survived OK thus far.

I don't believe that the B+ voltage will affect the meter calibration. The critical stage is regulated by an 0A2 and the meter driver amp is non-critical.

Regards,

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 11:47 am 

Quote:
I am skeptical of the peak current being hard on the transformer issue. Peak current is peak current... RMS current is something else

I think the answer is looking you right in the eye. If there's no difference, then what are all these dropping resistors for that everybody keeps installing? Replacing a tube rectifier with a silicon diode removes anywhere from 15 volts to as much as 50 volts of drop from the circuit. The current increases proportionally and you get more heating in the power transformer and everywhere else. Including the 0A2 voltage regulator tube which will change its voltage a few percent and maybe affect the calibration of the meter. If the meter was completely insensitive to B+ voltage changes, the 0A2 would have been superfluous.

If a dropping resistor is installed to get the voltages and currents back to where they were before, then the power that was dissipated in the plates of the tube rectifier is dissipated in the resistor. But even with a dropping resistor, a diode still has a much steeper transfer characteristic (more or less an on/off switch) than a tube rectifier, which can result in higher peak currents which the filter capacitors will try to deal with as higher ripple. I-squared-R still applies so there's incrementally more loss in the transformer windings and in the steel, if it is pushed closer to saturation.

The transformer in the 410-B was designed and tested for use with a 6X4. Had they planned on silicon diodes, HP probably would have made the transformer somewhat differently and tested it with diodes. So can you use silicon diodes in a 410-B? Yeah you probably can even if it's not everybody's first choice. Anecdotal evidence is that the differences are hardly noticeable. That's not true with all kinds of equipment, BTW, where plug-in silicon rectifier replacement "tubes" have done lots of damage. But my 410-B is still on the same 6X4 it had when it was given to me some 30 years ago so I don't really know what happens when you put silicon diodes in one and there is no hard data from HP on the subject. Therefore I would rather not suggest that somebody should go off and take chances with their meter.

Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by Chris108 on Apr Wed 08, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:40 pm 

I would agree with keeping the 6X4 whether or not diodes work. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As someone pointed out, there is not likely to be any shortage of 6X4 tubes. HP designed this for a tube, it works well with a tube, it's got other tubes..... so why try to eliminate the tube?

Pop a few diodes in temporarily if you are in a hurry, but any other work, such as calibration, will probably have to be redone once you get the new 6X4. Personally I'd set it aside till my bright shiny new $5 tube arrives. ;-)

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:45 pm 

I have a friend in town who gave me a 6X4 and I put it in the 410B. The closest capacitor I had to the original was a 10mFd at 450vdc so I put it in the circuit. The meter works now; DC Zero is good but AC Zero is at the end of the pot's travel and still not quite on the zero line. I need to do a Calibration and then see if it cures this problem.
BTW I had to replace V3 because after a few minutes the meter went full scale and stayed there. I did have a spare 12AU7 and it
seems to be working OK.
And, the 6X4 I removed from the meter was tested on my Precision tube tester. 1/2 had almost zero emission and it also had an internal short. Good thing I didn't put it back in the 410B.
So Calibration is next, and possibly seeing why the AC zero is skewed.
Thanks for all your comments.
BTW the audio folks apparently have driven the cost of the lowly 6X4 up to astronomical regions, especially on ebay.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:50 pm 

k5apl wrote:
...BTW the audio folks apparently have driven the cost of the lowly 6X4 up to astronomical regions, especially on ebay.

Forget eBay. Look at real tube sellers like Radio Electric Supply or ESRC: $5.

RRM

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 12:05 am 

Ebay sellers rarely get their listed price for such things. Check “sold” prices. Also I agree. Forget the bay for tubes

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 3:56 am 

I tried ESRC but could leave no message or contact info. Hope covid didn't get them.

I'll try other places and avoid ebay to buy tubes.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 7:41 am 

(edit)
K5APL,
See my PM to you.
R/ John

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 11:30 am 

There are a bunch of tube sellers here on ARF as well .... you could always put a want ad in the classifieds

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 7:16 pm 

k5apl wrote:
I tried ESRC but could leave no message or contact info. Hope covid didn't get them.

I'll try other places and avoid ebay to buy tubes.

There is an order form.

Also
FindATube http://findatube.com/

Vacuum Tubes, Inc. https://vacuumtubesinc.com/

And if you have to ($$) Antique Electronic Supply https://www.tubesandmore.com/

Ebay for anything as a last resort. Years ago you could get a good deal, not anymore.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 7:33 pm 

I on't understand the fear in buying a tube on ebay if its misrepresented you can get your money back including the shipping. Some NOS listed with shipping for less than $10.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 7:44 pm 

I think in this case it was the cost, not any real fear....... not sure. I agree, Paypal covers the buyer. But it can be more of a hassle than dealing with one of the forum tube sellers for sure.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 7:53 pm 

I'll second one of the sources mentioned above if you need it: http://findatube.com/

On their current price list, 6X4 is $4.50 new, $2.00 used/tested good. They guarantee their tubes. There was a point in time when nearly every car radio on the road had a 6X4 rectifier, plus they went into lots of AM/FM tuners, tape recorders, and other equipment. It's not a scarce tube.

Thomas A. Edison