Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 20, 2020 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heathkit IG-37, IG-5237 FM Stereo Generator
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 12:39 am 

Barry,

Based on the pages you mention, sounds like you downloaded the copy of the manual circulating around the internet. That should have everything you need except for Figures 2 and 3. I too have the manual if you need anything else scanned. Just let me know. My scanner is a bit too small for some of the pages though. Figure 3 is needed for the calibration, in particular, the precision resistors.

Dan

Attachments:
Figure_3.JPG
Figure_3.JPG [ 211.92 KiB | Viewed 1229 times ]
Figure_2.JPG
Figure_2.JPG [ 145.84 KiB | Viewed 1229 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 6:44 am 

Thanks Dan. That certainly helps, much appreciated

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 1:05 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Thanks Dan. That certainly helps, much appreciated

Barry, I have not forgotten you. That manual is still on the scanner! I promise to get moving this week. Been busy around here (beer to drink! Just kidding)

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 1:39 pm 

hahaha thanks Don. Absolutely no hurry, I have plenty of beer .... errr... other things to do here as well. :)

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 12:09 am 

Update... I bought an 11X17 HP Scanner. It arrived today and is still in the box. Tomorrow, I will open the box and maybe set it up.

"Details at 11..." as they say on the local news channels...

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 5:29 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I didn't see the detail notes on the posted drawings regarding test points until just now. They are a little hard to see anyway at that scale.

So... I made up a test point location photographic aid. Here it is in pdf format:

Attachment:
IG-37 Test Points.pdf [546 KiB]
Downloaded 75 times

Regards,

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 12:56 am 

A better print of the manual diagram. Didn't know PDF's could be attached.
Attachment:
IG-37_Figures_2_and_3.pdf [70.56 KiB]
Downloaded 55 times

PostPosted: Nov Thu 28, 2019 1:31 pm 

PROGRESS! ...update.

Firstly, thanks to all who helped me find a legible, and furthermore complete, assembly manual. Having received same, I decided that I might as well get back to this, since I actually need an FM stereo generator now. As an aside, there is NO PRICE TOO HIGH TO PAY for a legible schematic.....for anything.

I'd been stopped at alignment step #2. Yes, 2. No 5KHz audio oscillator running. See schematic ... there's nothing magic about this oscillator... as stated in the manual "it's a Wein Bridge type" and in this case lamp stabilized. Nothing particular complex, except it wouldn't oscillate. I tried 3 different tubes with no effect. Changed the electrolytic even tho the one in there was good. No effect. Checked all the resistance and voltage readings against the chart. All within the margins of error, except plate voltage on pin 6, way off as expected due to the tube not oscillating.

Changed the .1 cap between pin 6 and 1, even tho it was mylar and tested good. Didn't believe my Ohmmeter testing of the lamp off the cathode, so, being a 110V 3W bulb, I pulled it, and taking my life in my hands, put it across 110V with two clip leads. Lit up just like the night lights of old.

Tested the resistors in and around the V1 circuit. All well within spec.

Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_980.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_980.jpeg [ 491.82 KiB | Viewed 1034 times ]

Getting desperate at this point (it's just a simple oscillator, eh?), and considering removing all components and reinstalling them (I'd already checked the wiring against the schematic for errors, thinking maybe it's one of those kits "that never did work"..... I decided to take one last tour around the tube socket with the scope. Whaddayaknow..... as I checked pin 8, a sine wave magically started to appear and then went away. Tube socket? No visible problem, wiggling the tube made no difference. Push on the socket tab just the right way and it would come and go. The "light bulb" (in my head) started to go on. The soldering in this instrument, btw, appears to be done by a pro. It's excellent. Except THIS ONE JOINT. I added a bit of solder, and PRESTO! An oscillator.

Stay tuned for the next hurdle, as I again contemplate buying a brand new $1000 generator rather than, as I've talked about before, constantly fixing my test equipment so I can fix equipment lol.

But I am now committed to getting this generator up and running properly ....... even tho we are both beyond the age of mandatory retirement....

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 8:23 am 

Barry, because of you, now, when I return from Australia, I too will have to dig into my generator.

Oh, that means “Thank You” BTW.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 1:43 pm 

Don, I feel your pain. Thanks again for the manual. Good luck with yours too!!

I got the thing finished up. It was not too difficult and everything else fell into range in the alignment process. One thing I'll have to do later is go back and align it again, once I get a true RMS meter fixed up. I used the scope, and just did math, but since the sine waves are not absolutely pure sine waves, the resultant RMS voltage settings they want you to do are probably just a bit off.

It made no difference, as the IG-37 functions fine on my test reciever. That , btw, is a mid 80's Sony reciever with digital tuning. It took me quite some time to figure out how to manually tune it to 100MHz for my generator test. Turns out there is, in plain sight, a row of numerical buttons and one to the left marked "direct". Duh! Otherwise all you can do is scan for active channels which it does automatically. Nailing it exactly on 100mhz allows you to tune the generator to that frequency for precise dial calibration. I'll see just how precise in the next day or so as I try it again and again.

I'm going to put the top and bottom covers back on with a few spacer washers so the tubes can breathe just a wee bit. ;-)

BTW... change all the electrolytics. I think there are 3 in the generator that are NOT power supply filters. The PS filters are all in one can, now replaced with discretes.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 9:05 pm 

Thanks Barry. I own a lot of “stuff” always with the intention to work on it. Life has been busy with moving and clearing out friends and family’s homes that have passed away. Because of that, much of my “stuff” is still in boxes, many of which were not labeled.

I have a lot of neat things.

Sometimes it is like Christmas when I open boxes. Some things I think, “I don’t remember that!”

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2019 11:33 pm 

Don, you have changed my slant on all this 'stuff'. Until now, the increasing pile of unfinished projects was overwhelming me. I now see them as fun things to do. Whether I am successful is only a side issue. Yes, I would love to have all this working well but I have lots that does work well.

Too many oscilloscopes of course, Too many audio oscillators. Too many power supplies. And, frankly, too many VNAs (never thought I'd say that!). Not to speak of spectrum analyzers and voltmeters. I have just enough bridges at least. And the majority of items are HP.

I remember being delighted to have a Dumont scope and a Simpson 260.

Bob

PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 2:10 am 

bob91343 wrote:
Don, you have changed my slant on all this 'stuff'. Until now, the increasing pile of unfinished projects was overwhelming me. I now see them as fun things to do. Whether I am successful is only a side issue. Yes, I would love to have all this working well but I have lots that does work well.

Too many oscilloscopes of course, Too many audio oscillators. Too many power supplies. And, frankly, too many VNAs (never thought I'd say that!). Not to speak of spectrum analyzers and voltmeters. I have just enough bridges at least. And the majority of items are HP.

I remember being delighted to have a Dumont scope and a Simpson 260.

Bob

Bob,

You have just described me in accurate and fine detail. I hate to be defeated on some of these projects and hate to toss “Good” stuff into the bin. But I am running out of time. I have recently had to do through several persons stuff after they passed away. I don’t want my daughter to have to deal with it. She lives in Australia.

I certainly don’t think that my days are numbered. But let’s face it, I am 71.

1) Do I have a lot of good stuff?
2) Will I have time to get to all of it?

And, often I paid ~ $1.00 for a lot of this stuff.

GET RID OF IT! Have fun with the stuff that I like.

I am in Australia right now for a month. When I get home to Florida, I am going to start liquidating things here.

“Sta tuned...”

PostPosted: Dec Sun 01, 2019 2:39 am 

I have you beat. I am 87. Today I picked up a car full of equipment, meters and cables and a signal generator, an attenuator, another scope, lots more, and I haven't gone through it all yet.

I did grab some SMA cables in hopes they would turn out good. I just characterized the first one and am very impressed, almost no loss.

Frankly I don't care what my daughter does with it all. I got it for my own pleasure, and am enjoying it. My cost is so far below the probable value that one might say I got it all virtually free.

Don't agonize over what family will do. Have fun and when they pick over the remains they can toss it all with no big loss. You got your money's worth. They are happy you did. Sure, a few thousand bucks, but not worth the agony of trying to cash it out. In reality, downsizing is tantamount to admitting you are going to die. If there is life left in the old bones, forget that and fool around to your heart's content. In truth, by doing so you are increasing your life span with low stress and happy tinkering.

I have tried to teach my daughter the values but she isn't even slightly interested. She will call a few friends and the rest off to the dumpster. In fact, those few friends may not outlast me. I still bench press nearly 200 pounds (I weigh 133) and do 60 pushups and play piano and saxophone and more, including a jazz performance tomorrow.

I don't have the time to deal with age. You convinced me of that, for which I am grateful, and now I won't let go of the idea.

Bob