Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 27, 2021 4:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Triplett 630 questions yet again
PostPosted: Mar Mon 29, 2021 11:25 pm 

I have two 630s. One is a model 630-NS. I understand these also have type numbers. Where do I find these?
There is a number inside that looks as if it could be a serial number: 7501301. The "0" could be something else. There is a range doubler switch.

Under the D cell holder there is an unmarked holder that could hold an AA cell or a NEDA 221 (Everready505) battery. 22.5 volts. What goes here?

It seems the mirror behind the meter pointer arc has slipped out of position. There is also some unsightly fluffy debris under the cover. The cover seems held on by 4 threaded fasteners with smooth heads. How to get the cover off isn't obvious. Is this fixable?

630 #2 is a 630-A with serial number 92688 on the front of the meter. Again, I can't find a type number. This one is marked for a "30 volt" battery under the D cell holder. I assume this is intended to take a NEDA 210/Xcel 413 battery? anybody know what this is:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triplett-630A-NA-PL-PLK-VOM-Simpson-370-Lithim-Battery-Exell-413A-Neda-210-20F20/162029810720?epid=2159058423&hash=item25b9bab420:g:7KgAAOSwp-RaZsMb

One of the two parts (resistors?) near the center of the array looks as if it might be cooked or corroded.

On both of these the zero adjust pot looks as if it's been bent down a little, possibly by the meter being laid on it's face on a hard surface.

Final question: The Triplett site no longer seems to have manuals for old stuff. Where do I look?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Triplett 630 questions yet again
PostPosted: Mar Mon 29, 2021 11:37 pm 

For the high Ohms range more voltage is needed than can be provided with the 1.5 V cells. Original 630s had a 30V battery that has become unobtainable. I converted mine with a wall wart so I won't be needing a battery any more.

Fluffy debris is corrosion, perhaps copper oxide. The case is removed by pulling out the rubber feet on the back and taking out the screws thus exposed. The screw heads without slots are actually nuts with shafts and access is from the other end.

It is common for the resistor on the x1 Ohms range to burn out from operator carelessness. It needs to be replaced by a new resistor, the value of which is the same as the exact half scale of the Ohms range. Best to use a small wire resistor so that it will burn out the next time instead of taking more expensive parts with it.

You can probably bend back the Ohms adj pot bracket. As for manuals, try edebris. Google for exact info.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2021 12:26 am 

The type number is on the face of the meter, just below the model number. If there's nothing there, then you have a "Type 1".
Attachment:
Triplett 630-APLK Type number.jpg
Triplett 630-APLK Type number.jpg [ 676.04 KiB | Viewed 2449 times ]

Here's a 630-NS manual. I can't read the type number.
http://bama.edebris.com/download/triple ... 630-NS.pdf

Here's a 630-A manual. I think it's for a Type 1.
http://bama.edebris.com/download/triple ... Manual.pdf

PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2021 12:39 am 

amuller wrote:
This one is marked for a "30 volt" battery under the D cell holder. I assume this is intended to take a NEDA 210/Xcel 413 battery? anybody know what this is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triplett-630A- ... Swp-RaZsMb

They both take a NEDA 210 / Eveready 413 30 volt battery.

The eBay listing at your link is for some lithium button cells stacked to get 30 volts and then wrapped in heat-shrink tubing. The wire leads are supposed to be soldered in.

You can make up your own from a stack of 20 LR1130 alkaline batteries in heat-shrink, with a some brass washers between some of the cells to space it a little longer so that it fits securely in the original battery holder.

Or you can buy a nicely packaged set of what are probably alkaline button cells in the form of the Exell 413A:
http://www.exellbattery.com/exell-batte ... -alkaline/

PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2021 2:10 am 

you might want to look at his.. these batteries are made here and there from what I know. you can get them now. the company that makes them does not list them, but are on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Exell-Battery-Vo ... NrPXRydWU=

PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2021 11:56 pm 

These responses are very helpful. Thanks. No type numbers are present, but apparently this means they are the original production of the specific model. The 630-A uses the 30 volt battery along with a D cell. Not sure I need that highest range enough to worry about it Apparently the two devices in the center are copper oxide rectifiers, and one looks cooked. A discussion here:https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=238855 Shall see shortly if the AC voltage ranges are functional.
The manual linked does seem to match the instrument, except for not showing or listing the fuse.

The 630-NS (mine, anyway) , takes one D cell and one AA cell, so no problem there. The manual is similar to the item on the bench, but the front panel layout and features are like the 630-M (manual also on bama). The 630-M, by the way, takes one 15 volt battery. [Edit: This is wrong. This meter takes a standard 1.5 V D cell.] Lots of variations in these meters.!

someone mentioned a good place to order test leads?

Last edited by amuller on Mar Wed 31, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 31, 2021 12:58 am 

if you buy on amazon, search seen many price variations for the battery. from teens to 40ish

PostPosted: Mar Wed 31, 2021 8:25 am 

"amuller" wrote: "The 630-M, by the way, takes one 15 volt battery." Not the case: yes, manual parts list page 26 does state B1 Battery, 15V PN 2426-1; but this was a misprint, and as far as anyone knows, the "M" went thru only Type 1 production and only one known manual printing. Its only battery is a common "D" size 1 1/2VDC, listed in manual p5 Specs & on p19 "A 1.5 volt Burgess No. 2 battery or equiv...."; and in Cat. 58-T dated May 1, 1972 "Batteries: NEDA 1 1/2V 13F (qty 1)". The reason for only one 1 1/2V battery is that the M's 1ua fs movement and associated circuitry don't require any higher voltage than that for all the Ohms ranges, and it has no over-current protection relay circuit. NS's mvt is a 5ua fs.

As others noted above, models 630-NA, ...NS, and ...M all shared the same bakelite panel molding, because they were the only (modern) VOM models having the bottom slide-switch for the dual-ranges feature. Previous to the 630 line (case "NA" type having the clear Lucite window, introduced approx. 1951), there was model 625-NA also with the dual ranges feature; then by late '70's model 60-NA (the brightly colored drop-resistant cases, approved by Mines for explosive/industrial use) also had this feature; & also bench/lab model 800 but w/o an actual slider switch; & model 630-NA-RM (rack-mounted) same features but not an actual slider sw.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 31, 2021 4:21 pm 

Thank you for the correction. I put a note in my original post.

By the way, any suggestions for a source for the rubber feet that (apparently) plug into the case screw openings?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 31, 2021 5:09 pm 

I had sent some black rubber plugs out to Steve B. some months ago (I had purchased them from Schaff Piano), I think Cat # 357-B (for black). I've used these in most of my 630 cases successfully, but I've also noticed that certain production runs of Triplett 630 case covers tend to have screw hole diameters that are enough different that these plugs don't fit tightly. Original Triplett supplied plugs were heavy duty with a small hole thru the centers, which we can't seem to find anywhere, at least in quantity packs anybody can afford. Steve, do you have advice for amuller on this? Fred

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 1:58 am 

my 850 is missing the rubber on the screw holes, same or different size then 630?

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 2:19 pm 

amuller wrote:
The 630-NS (mine, anyway) , takes one D cell and one AA cell, so no problem there.

Huh, I hadn't noticed that the 630-NS uses only 3 volts on the high resistance ranges. This makes sense, as the meter movement is much more sensitive (5 µA) than the 50 µA movements in the lesser 630-series meters.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 4:18 pm 

Fred Scoles wrote:
Original Triplett supplied plugs were heavy duty with a small hole thru the centers, which we can't seem to find anywhere, at least in quantity packs anybody can afford. Steve, do you have advice for amuller on this?

The back of the Bakelite case for a typical Triplett VOM or VTVM is attached to the front by four machine screws.

The screws are accessed through deep wells molded into the back of the case. While there are small feet molded into the Bakelite casting, …

… Triplett also provided rubber feet that fit into the holes in the back.

The trade name for these little rubber frobs seems to be “push-in bumpers”.

The Triplett 639-N “barn-door” case for their 630 series meters also has holes for rubber bumpers. I don’t know if the cases originally came with feet installed or if you were expected to remove the feet from your meter and install them in the case.

The feet are almost inevitably missing from any used Triplett meter that I have acquired. This Model 800 VOM is one of the few exceptions.

The leftmost foot is from the Triplett 800 VOM. The one immediately to its right is one of the feet that came with my new-in-box Triplett 630-APLK Type 5 VOM. The foot from the 800 appears to be the same shape as the new foot from the 630-APLK, but it is slightly smaller in diameter. The previous owner had wrapped the feet on the 800 with a layer of masking tape to hold them in place.

I guess the feet shrink a bit over time, fall off the meter, and are discarded or lost. I think that is why used meters rarely have their feet.

This leaves us with the problem of finding rubber bumpers to use as replacements for the missing meter feet. I haven’t been able to find exact replacements. The original Triplett bumpers (the two on the left) are a fairly soft rubber (at least when new) and have a taper at the end to make it easier to insert them into the mounting hole.

The Triplett feet from the 630-APLK are 0.3125" (5/16") ID , 0.3125" (5/16") stem height, and 0.450" (29/64") OD. The end of the stem tapers to about 0.260" over a length of about 0.090". The hole through the center is 0.125" (1/8") in diameter.

I’ve measured the mounting hole diameter as 0.300” inch. You need to size the stem of the bumper a little larger, so that it compresses when inserted into the mounting hole.

The middle bumper is from Schaff Piano Supply Co., courtesy of Fred Scoles. It is their No. 357 rubber bumper, stem diameter 11/32”, head diameter 7/16”. As Fred wrote in a previous post on the Antique Radio Forum, they fit the holes in the back of Triplett cases very well.

The last two bumpers are from McMaster-Carr. The fourth bumper from the left is their number 9544K23, for 9/32” ID, 1/4” stem height, 7/16” OD, SBF Rubber. It is close to the right style, but the stem diameter is 1/32” too small. A few wraps of masking tape fixes that problem, but it would be nice to be able to source a similar part with a slightly larger stem diameter.

The rightmost bumper is McMaster-Carr’s number 9544K34, for 5/16” ID, 1/4” stem height, 5/8” OD, SBR Rubber. They are a harder rubber than the Schaff #357 bumpers, so despite having a smaller diameter stem, they still grip the sides of the mounting hole very well. Unfortunately they are both too large in outer diameter and in thickness to look good on the meter.

I've just noticed that McMaster-Carr has a larger selection of push-in bumpers now. I've ordered some of their number 9544K553, for 5/16" ID, 1/2" stem height, 7/16" OD, SBR Rubber. These should fit well.

Also, prior to Fred sending me the Schaff #357 bumpers, I hadn't thought a 11/32" soft rubber stem would fit the holes. So I've also ordered McMaster-Carr's number 9310K12, for 11/32" ID, 13/16" high stem, SBR Rubber. The OD is much too large, but I may be able to cut it down.

I’ve searched other suppliers for something closer to the style and size of the Triplett OEM feet, but I haven’t found anything closer than these.

Here’s one of my Triplett 630-NA’s with the Schaff #357 bumpers. (Thanks Fred!)

Here is my 630-APLK Type 5 with the Triplett feet.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 4:19 pm 

ttx450cap wrote:
my 850 is missing the rubber on the screw holes, same or different size then 630?

The model 850 VTVM uses the same size feet as the 630 series VOMs and the model 800 VOM.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 03, 2021 2:19 am 

stevebyan wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:

The model 850 VTVM uses the same size feet as the 630 series VOMs and the model 800 VOM.

thks..

PostPosted: Apr Sat 03, 2021 5:58 pm 

Thank you to Steve for taking valuable time to document and photograph the details and possibilities for Triplett bakelite case rubber bumpers. I've printed a copy for future reference. Another item that fits into these screw holes are black rubber lab stoppers, about a number 000, or 00, but of course, they look like lab stoppers, not as elegant a fix. Fred

PostPosted: Apr Sat 03, 2021 10:58 pm 

Part of my McMaster-Carr order arrived today. The number 9310K12, for 11/32" ID, 13/16" high stem, SBR Rubber, push-in bumpers are too large to fit.

I also noticed that the number 9544K23, for 9/32” ID, 1/4” stem height, 7/16” OD, SBF Rubber bumpers, while too small to fit the meter case, do fit the 639-N barn-door case.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 06, 2021 10:44 pm 

The McMaster-Carr number 9544K553, for 5/16" ID, 1/2" stem height, 7/16" OD, SBR Rubber bumpers arrived today. The stem is much too long to easily fit in the mounting hole.

Also, I unfortunately overlooked the specification for the height of the head of the bumper. It's much too thick at 7/16".

So, I think the best options are either the Schaff No. 357 bumpers ...
... or the McMaster-Carr number 9544K23, for 9/32” ID, 1/4” stem height, 7/16” OD, SBF Rubber bumpers with a few wraps of masking tape on the stem.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 07, 2021 2:09 am 

thks for info

reminds me of chasing down #6 screw. I dont have a thread gage of that erra. spent 20 bucks so far and have not found the older coarse thread screws. precision apparatus, and many others used them in the 40s. need about a dozen, should prob post in classifieds.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 07, 2021 3:46 pm 

ttx450cap wrote:
thks for info

reminds me of chasing down #6 screw. I dont have a thread gage of that erra. spent 20 bucks so far and have not found the older coarse thread screws. precision apparatus, and many others used them in the 40s. need about a dozen, should prob post in classifieds.

I think I have some 6-40 screws kicking around, but I wouldn't describe those as coarse thread...