Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Is this tester good?
Absolutely  0%  [ 0 ]
Average  100%  [ 2 ]
Poor  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Lafayette TE-19 Help and Discussion
PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 12:47 am 

I just picked up this CRT tester and rejuvenator today and it has everything except the chart/manual. Does anyone here have a link, file or willing to upload their own personal manual? I can't find anything when I search.

Are there other charts that can be referenced with this device?
Is this device rare or something it seems like Lafayette tube testers go for some money usually. I can't seem to find any info on this tester in general so any info would be greatly appreciated! 8)

Attachments:
PXL_20210921_233609460.jpg
PXL_20210921_233609460.jpg [ 909.56 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

Post subject: Re: Lafayette TE-19 Help and Discussion
PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 4:35 am 

It's certainly not rare, but CRT testers as a whole are not as common as ordinary tube testers.

The quality of Lafayette branded products is all over the place, this looks like a basic unit, probably not too different electrically from ones sold by other vendors of hobbyist type equipment.

Usually a TV shop would have had a service shop quality instrument, a level or two above this sort, perhaps a B & K or Sencore product.

You'll need to find setup charts which are specific to this exact Lafayette model in order to be able to make any meaningful tests on CRT's with it. Do NOT use it to rejuvenate because unless you have significant experience in how that procedure works, with a simple unit like this it's very easy to ruin a CRT.

If this unit was functional and had the setup charts and owners manual with it, at a major radio show it might sell for $20 or $25 to a hobbyist. Most people who collect and repair vintage TV's already have a more professional quality CRT tester and would not be interested in this one.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 5:21 am 

Check your PM (personal message). I just sent you one.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 9:23 pm 

Okay cool, thank you both. I haven't done any rejuvinating before so I plan to play around with some disposable CRTs first. I picked this one up for $20 and seems to be adequate for mid century servicing. It seems in my area it's hard to find one at a reasonable price unless I trip over one at an estate sale. I plan to find a higher quality one to service arcade cabinets and other TVs in the future. Any recommendations on a a specific tester that would be beneficial would be great!