Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 5:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit IO-4550
PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2007 9:21 am 

Does anyone happen to have the operation and/or assembly manuals for the Heathkit IO-4550 Oscope? I've had one for a number of years, and now want to use it, but have no documentation!

On another note, is there a preferred probe(s) for this unit? That is also something that I did not get with the set.

Thanks!!

Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 11, 2007 8:30 pm 

PM sent.

Post subject: Heathkit IO-4550
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2009 1:06 am 

I was given the above 'scope and was told "one channel is out". When I plugged it in, all I got was smoke out the back. Now the pilot lights lights, but I have nothing on the CRT. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions and/or a user/assembly manual that I could use/borrow/scan so that I could start looking for the bad component(s).

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2009 9:00 pm 

I recently found one of these and also had smoke. Turned out to be shorted tantalum bypass caps. Not too hard to isolate, just follow the smell of burt resistors. After that and cal the scope was ok. Not a Tektronix to be sure, but an ok scope.

RRM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 21, 2009 1:12 am 

Thank you very much for following up on my query. I have arranged to borrow a copy of the manual, so could you please point out for me the Heathkit part number of the offending cap? The unit has been sitting in my attic for a couple of years after it "smoked", so I cannot use the "sniff test" to find the bad piece.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 21, 2009 4:47 am 

The bad caps in mine were tantalums on one or both of the 15 volt rails. I don't remember exactly which ones. I think they were the kind that look like jelly beans. Tantalums used to be famous for shorting out.

If you haven't worked on a scope before, be advised that there's about 1700 volts in this one for the CRT. If you get across it you will not be happy.

RRM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 25, 2009 1:55 pm 

Good suggestion at this point: Tantalum caps, especially old ones, are very prone to shorting out. Best approach ot this scope is to replace ALL the tantalum and electrolytic caps. I did that with all my Heath scopes. They were much happier as was I.

616-677-3706

Post subject: IO-4550 manual/schematic
PostPosted: Mar Sat 21, 2009 9:07 pm 

Howdy all,

I know this is a somewhat older thread....

I'm looking for a manual for one of these also. BAMA pulled all of their Heathkit manuals because the copyright owner (rightfully so) objected.

Are these manuals around?

Thanks and 73,

Rick
K7MYR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2009 12:16 am 

Heathkit went the el cheapo route in their high voltage systems, often using voltage doublers and triplers on the 60Hz HV transformer to develop the few KV needed in the CRT circuit. I doubt that they ever used a CRT requiring a PDA accereration voltage. But those caps were typically 0.1µF 1KV tubular units, unknown dielectric and they tended to short out a lot. For one, I think they were a bit under the required voltage rating they really needed. Had an IO-104 that drove me nuts with those caps. I finally put in a set that worked long enough for me to get the thing sold.

Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2009 5:25 am 

HI
If you need a part number or size, I can give you the info, or I have the complete manual for the Heathkit IO-4550 scope. It is excellent shape. If anyone is interested, I could put it on EBAY.
Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2009 8:07 pm 

Hi Max,

I need an IO-4550 manual.

If you want to sell it, I'd love to get it from you.

Just PM me with the info if you like,

Thanks,

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2009 5:03 am 

I just picked up a IO-4550 and also need a manual. MIne doesn't sweep at all. Anyone got a manual, or a PDF?

Post subject: Re: Heathkit IO-4550
PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 1:31 pm 

OLD THREAD I realize ... but I just "got" one of these and decided to ressurect it for a guy that's only doing audio. Besides I cannot throw anything marked "heathkit" away. I probably should have.

EDIT: Nevermind.... Update: I calibrated it the old fashioned way...fudged it. Thought I'd leave the post up anyway to remind me of my own folly.

Anyway, to make a longer-than-financially-sensible story shorter, it's working now. BUT in all the online manuals I've found, I cannot locate the "operations" section, which includes the detailed calibration/adjustments. While I could probably muddle through and fake it well enough for it's intended purpose, I'd like to return it to near specs if at all possible.

The end of the assy manual has you adjust the power supply and HV, and then refers you to Page 25 of the operation manual, which I do not have, for calibration.

FYI .... y'all know I am never in favor of shotgun replacing all capacitors. This scope was one exception. After it had been on for a few minutes it'd burn up a 10 ohm resistor. Tantalum was shorting after "warming up". I recapped it. No more issues.

Helpppp
Thanks
Barry

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 3:33 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
The end of the assy manual has you adjust the power supply and HV, and then refers you to Page 25 of the operation manual, which I do not have, for calibration.

I'm pretty sure I have all the information you seek for this scope. I'll pm you a link once I locate it.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 4:11 pm 

Barry,

I have the calibration section for this scope pgs 25-34. I don't even know where I found them, but PM me and I can send them in PDF.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 5:50 pm 

Thanks to both Mr Fabe and Pmeltech.... Fabe shot me the calibration manual this morning.

I think these scopes sell for around $15 at most, if they work. This one didn't. I've got about twice that in capacitors, and probably 3-4 hours into it so far. Last problem was no trigger on Channel 1. Figured out there's a DC zero adjust for each channel. Would have taken a lot less time with the (*&@#&^%(@# Calibration instructions lol. Had to actually remove the input/vert board to get at all the solder points for the new caps. Oh Joy.

Anyway I'll go through the calibration again, WITH the instructions this time, and hopefully once I pass it along, I'll never see it again. ;-)

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 11:33 pm 

Calibration of this scope comes up from time to time. How about one of you guys who have the data posting it or a link?

RRM

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 12:04 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Calibration of this scope comes up from time to time. How about one of you guys who have the data posting it or a link?

RRM

You may want to read this regarding the Heathkit copyright issues...

viewtopic.php?t=105023

If you want the calibration information on the IO-4550, I can send you a link via PM. As far as posting the file publicly on the forum, you are welcome to do it yourself. I have no desire to deal with any legal BS whether the ownership rights are valid or not but have no problems with sharing information to a member or members in need.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 12:50 am 

I’ll post it up on my website. If one does not charge for people to read it, is there still a copyright issue? (assuming there’s really is)

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2020 1:51 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I’ll post it up on my website. If one does not charge for people to read it, is there still a copyright issue? (assuming there’s really is)

In the past, BAMA and Pestingers had hosted a bunch of Heathkit manuals/ schematics but no longer do so. Pestingers posted the information they received from the copyright "owner".

https://www.pestingers.net/pages-images ... anuals.htm

I wish you well in starting a hosting archive that will benefit many of us.