Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 25, 2020 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Odd output on a '40 GE phono attachment
PostPosted: Sep Tue 22, 2020 2:10 am 

I just acquired a 1940 GE HM-3 teardrop phono attachment. It's very obvious that it had been worked on to use. Although it has the original crystal cartridge in it, it could've been rebuilt. The odd thing is that the output is a new dual male RCA jack type. The first thing I did was connect an adapter that brings these connection down to a single small male earphone plug. I put that into my AM transmitter and got no sound coming out of the phono. I'm not at all skilled in elec.'s and am curious if anyone can shed any light on the situation by what I wrote. My guess is that the original crystal cartridge could've worked and it finally died. I already have a P-51 replacement cartridge on it's way. I'm just curious if this original cartridge does work and my output set-up was incorrect (?) It obviously had been used in recent times as-is.

Attachments:
DSC00077.JPG
DSC00077.JPG [ 360.78 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]

Post subject: Re: Odd output on a '40 GE phono attachment
PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 9:41 pm 

It is a pretty safe bet that the crystal cartridge is bad, however it is anyone's guess as to what's going on with the new wiring. I would want to trace it out and understand what the previous owner did to it. Nice player, and nice Vogue picture disc!

Once you sort out what's going on with the wiring, try connecting it to the phono input of one of your radios and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 1:14 pm 

maxhifi wrote:
It is a pretty safe bet that the crystal cartridge is bad, however it is anyone's guess as to what's going on with the new wiring. I would want to trace it out and understand what the previous owner did to it. Nice player, and nice Vogue picture disc!

Once you sort out what's going on with the wiring, try connecting it to the phono input of one of your radios and see what happens.

Thank you. I spoke with my repairman and he said to hook it up to a radio phono input with test clips. I heard the source hum on the radio, so it's making me think it is indeed the cartridge. I should get the P-51 replacement tomorrow. I'll update on how that went.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 3:59 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
maxhifi wrote:

Thank you. I spoke with my repairman and he said to hook it up to a radio phono input with test clips. I heard the source hum on the radio, so it's making me think it is indeed the cartridge. I should get the P-51 replacement tomorrow. I'll update on how that went.

Make sure you adjust the tracking force once the P-51 is installed. Not doing this will definitely result in poor performance, and possibly record damage. This is a very attractive player you have!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 26, 2020 10:24 pm 

maxhifi wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
maxhifi wrote:

Make sure you adjust the tracking force once the P-51 is installed. Not doing this will definitely result in poor performance, and possibly record damage. This is a very attractive player you have!

Thank you. Once the old pot-metal cartridge and front weight was removed the arm was a very light shell. nearly as light as a Cobra-Matic arm.
I installed the P-51 and with the help of my repairman learned how to connect it to my '37 RCA 86T radio. It works excellent. Fortunately there was two pre-existing holes exactly where the legs of the P-51 where. With a few rubber washers and two machine screws, it was ready to go.
This phono must've been worked on many years ago when the crystal cartridge was still good. It had never been rebuilt.