Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 03, 2021 1:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wurlitzer 2710 Jukebox
PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 3:25 pm 

Hello,
New to the site. Thanks for being here! Considering purchasing a Wurlitzer 2710 jukebox (1963 I believe). Owner says it powers and lights up and mechanism cycles but it will not pick up a record. I haven't seen it yet in person and I don't know if it stops at the correct selection or not. If it is doing everything correctly and just not picking up a record I'm pretty sure I can figure that out. Question is, is this machine worth the gamble? The machine is in a storage unit right now and appears to be in great shape. Owner indicated it played and sounded great before the current issue. Hopefully there is power available so I can cycle it to see exactly what's going on. Thoughts?
John

Post subject: Re: Wurlitzer 2710 Jukebox
PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 9:08 pm 

Only you can determine if it is worth it to you.

How Mechanically inclined or declined are you?

Juke boxes can be very finnicky mechanisms to work with.

my 2cents

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 9:13 pm 

Thanks. I repaired a 1958 Rockola years ago which was all bound up. I'm definitely better mechanically than electronically. Actually hoping its an easy fix like a gummed up grabber arm piston.

PostPosted: May Wed 26, 2021 10:18 am 

Probably a lot of hardened grease and dirty contacts keeping it from working, if you are experienced with mechanical devices you should have no problems fixing it, of course it could have broken parts, which are usually not too hard to find.

If you get it I would join one of the Facebook Jukebox groups, lots of helpful people and parts vendors.

PostPosted: May Wed 26, 2021 2:28 pm 

Thanks much Eric. As far as transporting it home would I just need to adjust the two carriage bolts to secure the mechanism?

PostPosted: May Wed 26, 2021 3:00 pm 

The mechanism is mounted on springs for vibration isolation. The bolts compress the springs while moving so that the mechanism doesn't bounce around. There may be some other things to do while moving, the manual will give you some clue. It is best to have the service manual anyway.
I'm not so sure about saying all replacement parts can be found.

BTW, keep all posting about an item to one thread. They don't want a dozen threads on the same unit and it also makes it easier for people to track the history on something.

PostPosted: May Wed 26, 2021 3:47 pm 

Sorry, I'm a newbie and have to learn the ropes

PostPosted: May Wed 26, 2021 6:32 pm 

Sure. That why I brought it up now rather than later. People new to the forums often miss some
things like that.

PostPosted: May Wed 26, 2021 6:52 pm 

Having moved a couple of jukeboxes, I'd suggest you remove any records.
Best to transport it in an upright position. It needs to be securely tied down in a van as jukeboxes can weigh a couple of hundredweight or more.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 17, 2021 1:45 pm 

Making some progress with my Wurlitzer 2710. Problem: Select light is lit, select buttons pop a pin but mech does not start. When making a selection the latch and preset solenoids are slow in reacting...sometimes taking a minute or more to activate(should be instant) and sometimes need help by manually closing the leaf spring contacts. Question: Does this appear to be a sticky solenoid problem or something else? Should the solenoid shafts be lubricated or greased or should they just be taken apart and cleaned? I should mention that I was able to activate the carousel and mech motors by tripping the transfer switch so I know that's at least in working condition. Question: When a selection is made and a pin pops what causes the mech not to start? Where is a good place to begin? I am learning a lot about this jukebox just by spending some time tinkering and am confident it will play at some point. I have an owner's manual which has been some help but there's nothing like good old friendly advice especially since my eyesight is not as keen as it once was. Thanks in advance.
John

PostPosted: Jun Thu 17, 2021 5:33 pm 

Well no one here can help much with your eyesight.
A major thing to do is clean and adjust the contacts (switches) in the jukebox. There are a lot of them, some very hard to get to. The manual can help find and adjust them. To clean them, I spray them with contact cleaner, then take strips of paper that are doused with contact cleaner and gently pull them through the closed contacts. For the contacts that are closed I either cycle the mechanism to close them or hold them in the closed position while I pass the paper strip through. Some contacts are plated with gold or silver and nothing very abrasive should be used. Lastly I use a burnisher on the contacts.
Contact burnishers can be found from several sources, here is one.
https://www.turntableneedles.com/Contac ... _4321.html
Sometimes a jukebox manual will have you use a small force gauge to adjust the contact pressure.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 17, 2021 5:51 pm 

Thanks Tim. I'll begin doing that cleaning. What about the solenoid plungers? Lubricated or dry? By the way my eyesight seems to be fine when observing two-legged dear.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 18, 2021 12:59 am 

Ha-ha!
Do not put oil or grease in the solenoids. Sometimes I have used a dry (power) lubricant, teflon of graphite if it seems like they are sticking. Obviously clean the moving parts first.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 18, 2021 4:56 am 

Ordered a burnishing tool. Sprayed both solenoids thoroughly with contact cleaner and they both work perfectly now. No more sluggish movement. They pop pins properly but mech doesn't start automatically. I can cycle it by maually tripping the transfer switch but all it does it load and reload the record, the tonearm moves to the record and then cancels each time. Before pressing any select buttons what positions should the transfer and mute and play switches be in? Both left, both right, one left, one right??? I really appreciate your input and assistance Tim.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 18, 2021 3:02 pm 

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about that model and its been years since I worked on the 2304.
When I take on a jukebox for a client the first thing I do is buy a service manual, charged to the client.
Often I make copies of the schematic and other pages because I mark them up. When I finish the jukebox the client gets to keep the manual. I might not ever work on that model again.
That mechanism is so large I made a support frame cart and removed the the mechanism (two person job) and transferred it to the cart so I could get to it all.
Attachment:
MechCartE1.jpg
MechCartE1.jpg [ 307.22 KiB | Viewed 647 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Fri 18, 2021 3:17 pm 

Very nice setup!

Question: After a selection is made is it normally the relays in the junction box which begin the motor starting process or does the selection signal activate something else?

Thanks for all your great communication.

John

PostPosted: Jun Sat 19, 2021 1:05 am 

John,
The Wurlitzer carousel style machines like yours have a "wobble plate" (Wurlitzer's name) the tips slightly when a selection pin pops up. That tilting trips 1 of 3 or 4 micro switches (all in parallel) to start the changer mech. Those switches are somewhat buried under the round pin bank. As others have mentioned, get a good copy or original service manual. It will describe the operation and show pictures of the parts. If you opt for a repro service manual , buy it from a place like Victory Glass, or other jukebox dealers. A lot of the pdf stuff on eBay is a poor copy, poor pictures, low res scans, etc.
One note - your machine, the XX10 (i.e. 2710) is a 100 selection machine, essentially half the selections of the XX00 machines (i.e. 2700), but the same style mechanism. The XX04 (i.e. 2704 if they made one) was a 104 selection that used a different mechanism. There are some similarities, but make sure you get the correct manual.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 19, 2021 2:16 am 

Thank you Charlie. Appreciate the information. I have the correct manual for the 2710 so I'll have a look.