Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1955 Philco TPA-1 or TPA-2 Transistor Portable Phonograp
PostPosted: Oct Mon 08, 2012 1:15 am 

Hi Rick;
Thanks for all the info about the Philco transistor record player. I'll try to get a picture of the strobe disc on here but can't promise as I have a new laptop and an older printer-scanner that don't work together well yet. Also I'm not great with the technology and have my son help me often. The strobe disc is thin cardboard, tan colored with 2 rings of dots around the outside. It has the large hole in the center. Here is the wording on the disc; STROBOSCOPE SPEED INDICATOR, Adjust speed control until two dot circles move in opposite direction under fluorescent or incandescent light, PHILCO, 78-1992, USE WITH TONE ARM ON RECORD. It's 4 &1/2 inches diameter. My Philco must have broken early or just never was used because the turntable shows no wear at all and the knobs and tonearm look new. Thanks again; Ron

PostPosted: Oct Mon 08, 2012 3:09 am 

Hi Ron,

If you can't scan the Philco strobe disk, then could you at least take a CLOSE-UP photo of the entire disk and then attach this photo file to this thread, so I can see it ??

PostPosted: Oct Mon 08, 2012 3:21 am 

Ron,

Thanks for the info on the Philco strobe disc. I also would like to see a picture of this item. Maybe, you can take a good clear photo with your digital camera and download it to this site's thread, so all of us can see this item ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2012 1:11 am 

Thank You Ron,

I appreciate you replying back to my PM and e-mailing a picture of the Philco TPA-1 Transistor phonograph's Stroboscope Disk, which was used for calibrating and checking the record platter's 45rpm speed.

I have also attached a photo of it and uploaded it onto this site, so everyone can see this item.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2012 8:27 pm 

Hello Phonograph viewers,

Below is the original Philco (P-920) 1.5v size "D" batteries, that were used in the 1955 Philco TPA-1 and TPA-2 All-Transistor portable battery operated phonographs. These Philco phonograph models used (4) batteries in its circuitry, which the battery compartment was located at the very bottom of the outside of the phonograph's cabinet. You will also see these "same" batteries, that are pictured in Philco's "Publicity Photo" in the Popular Science Oct 1955 issue, that has already been previously posted onto this thread subject.

Below is an article that came from the New York Times, which was Philco's official announcement of its "NEW" Consumer product - All-Transistor Portable Battery Operated Phonograph (TPA-1). This Philco consumer product was also the "World's First All-Transistor Phonograph to be developed and produced".

PostPosted: Oct Sat 27, 2012 5:01 pm 

Rick, how's the sound quality of this transistor phonograph? Is it decent?

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2012 5:33 am 

I just bought a storage unit with a philco model tpa-1.the all-transistor portable phonograph is in good condition in it.i would like to sell it but don't know how much to ask .in better condition than the one pictured.thanks William Reese holly ,Michigan.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 1:46 am 

Hi Larry,

The 1955 Philco TPA-1 All-Transistor phonograph is not a "High Fidelity" audiophile piece of equipment. This Philco unit is considered a "Bare Bones" economy phonograph, which it also does not have a record changer. It can only plays 45rpm records, by manually placing the records on the phonograph platter and manually lifting the tone arm with its cartridge needle and placing it onto the record to play it. This unit does not even have a "Tone Control" knob, for adjusting the treble and bass audio sound setting. It only has a volume and a 45 rpm speed control knobs to adjust.

This 1955 Philco TPA-1 All-Transistor phonograph unit has "only" (3) germanium PNP alloy-junction AF transistors in its circuitry. And two of these transistors are used as Class "B" Push-Pull Emitter Follower - Audio Output transistors, which were used to conserve battery power consumption.

The biggest problem with the very "early" transistor household consumer products, like the 1954 Regency TR-1 four transistor pocket radio, is that they had a "very poor" frequency response curve and would often sound "tinny". They would not have the "rich" bass harmonic acoustic sounds, like the vacuum tube equipment would have.

So, the Philco engineers in 1955, figured out a way to overcome this "tinny sound" problem and lack of "rich" bass audio sounds with transistors. Philco had used a large 4"permanent magnetic Dynamic speaker and installed it into an all-wooden speaker box cabinet enclosure. This cabinet design gave it a subwoofer and baffle effect, which greatly increased the "rich" bass audio sounds.

Finally, I have made a Youtube video, which show my 100% original 1955 Philco TPA-1 All-Transistor phonograph with its original Astatic needle and monaural pickup crystal cartridge, playing a 1955 Little Richard hit song "Tutti-Frutti". This "economy" Philco TPA-1 phonograph sounds pretty decent, until you hear the "actual" Live show performance, of the 1955 Little Richard and its band playing the same song, which is also included in the Youtube video.

Below is the YouTube Video link. Just "Click" on it to watch .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSDh5-g0lw

Thanks and hope that everyone enjoys the above info.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:08 am 

Hi Rick,

just noticed this thread. You had given me advice on getting my GE 675-678 five-Transistor sets operating back in 2005. Better late than never, lol, I recently got 5 of my 6 working, with batteries in each.

Richard

<end hijack>

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 11:53 pm 

Hi Richard,

I am "glad" that you have used my technical assistance that I have given to you in 2005, to repair your 1955-56 GE models 675-678 All-Transistor pocket radios. These "early" GE radios are the most difficult to repair and it looks like you are having no trouble with them, for you have 5 out of 6 working. I also think that I will start a "New Thread" on these 1955 General Electric Five-Transistor pocket radios, which were GE's First All-Transistor radio to be developed and produced in 1955.

Finally, I have attached a 1955 Philco model TPA-1 All-Transistor phonograph schematic, which was the World's First All-Transistor phonograph to be developed and produced.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 2:10 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I also found another article that was written on the 1955 Philco TPA-1 All-Transistor Phonograph, which was the World's First All-Transistor phonograph to be developed and produced. This article was in the 1955 August issue of Electronics magazine.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 8:11 am 

Hi, I just received my eBay TPA-1 score. It seems to power the amp up, makes a nice click anyhow but the turntable spins free and I couldn't detect any motor sound- so wondering if the platter comes off from the top, or what? If someone else has one that could post a picture of your battery cover I would appreciate it, but seems to be a simple part to make Battery terminals look fine :-) 65+ years of dirt and grime but except for a couple minor corner scuffs should clean up nice!

Thx,

-Bob

ok platter is off, the idler wheel feels decent! more digging into it

Attachments:
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg [ 444.98 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]
IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2379.jpg [ 929.55 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

Last edited by PhilcoFord on Oct Sat 26, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 5:08 pm 

what's the story with all the old "Photo Bucket" pictures, is there a way to view the highres version or what?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:59 am 

Attachment:
motorngoo.jpg
motorngoo.jpg [ 565.49 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]
Attachment:
brushes.jpg
brushes.jpg [ 668.88 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]
Attachment:
mp3tpa1.jpg
mp3tpa1.jpg [ 781.91 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]
Attachment:
pricetags.jpeg
pricetags.jpeg [ 604.6 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEtvu4ldFts

Attachments:
ampcropped.jpg
ampcropped.jpg [ 628.78 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]
pcboardback.jpg
pcboardback.jpg [ 561.15 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2