Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 20, 2019 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 6-HF-5 Changer 1.2
PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 1:12 am 

Okay, I'm getting into actually cleaning and servicing the changer now. I have taken pics after cleaning up the changer surfaces. I have a couple of questions in regards to the aesthetics of the changer surface:

1) I cleaned a ton of dirt of the surface but there is the obvious scratch and then some other rust and pitting marks that make it unattractive. Have any of you re-painted the surface, and if so, is there a way to re-paint to resemble stock appearance?

2) I used Brasso to clean up the record stabilizer bar, but again you can see markings that will not go away. Any suggestions there?

3) And lastly, what to use to clean the speed selector switch? I briefly tested with some degreaser but did not want to rub to hard in fear of removing lettering and/or coating. Would brasso work on the surface there? Not sure of the material on top.

Thanks in advance,
Sparky

Before
Attachment:
DSC02765.JPG
DSC02765.JPG [ 154.11 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]

After

Attachments:
DSC02778.JPG
DSC02778.JPG [ 124.9 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA 6-HF-5 Changer 1.2
PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 1:16 am 

Get some #0000 fine steel wool, dip it in Brasso and scrub and all that will come off the record stabilizer arm. Scrub a while, rinse, then scrub some more. Don't scrub too much or you'll take the brass off as it's just brass plated.

Post subject: Re: RCA 6-HF-5 Changer 1.2
PostPosted: Jun Fri 22, 2012 4:53 am 

moses_007 wrote:
Get some #0000 fine steel wool, dip it in Brasso and scrub and all that will come off the record stabilizer arm. Scrub a while, rinse, then scrub some more. Don't scrub too much or you'll take the brass off as it's just brass plated.

Just scrubbed a little while lightly with #0000 steel wool & Brasso and the coating started to come off without removing blackness. Looks like I will have to repaint and hit with lacquer.