Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 10:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SEEBURG 100 SELECT ISSUE
PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2012 2:10 pm 

Ok jukers, I have 2( R & B) boxes with similar issues...intermittant no selection from a bunch of numbers.
I see no pattern not any specific number or letter.. Resoldered pinbank, cleaned individual reeds at buttons,
suspect floating gound or impulse contact in selector. It is possible I understand, that I have a faulty solonoid coil in the bank, but too many all at once to be logical. (friends boxes I am servicing) It is not in jones plug or connections,
and taking receiver out of circut makes no diff. I am headed back to the button mech, and contacts..Yes I burnish not sand..any hints..

Post subject: Re: SEEBURG 100 SELECT ISSUE
PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2012 3:19 am 

How are the condition of the points on the contact blocks. Sometimes just running a matchbook through them cleans them up pretty good. Maybe someone else has a good idea.

The best living Seeburg guru in the world, in my opinion, is Ron Rich. He is the moderator at phonoland.com and they have a jukebox specific section. He does not post here. He is extremely helpful and his mechanism book is outstanding. Good luck.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2012 4:44 am 

Hello,
i would check for dirty contact block and pinbank.
try taking a dollar bill and rub the contacts on the pinbank--also very carefuly examine the fine wires that connect to the spring loaded pins on the contact block.
if you manualy select by moving the flip levers on the pinbank will it secect and play that song?
have you removed the pinbank?
if so a slight miss alignment can cause that.
i hope this helps
Gary

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2012 4:46 am 

Is the mech moving when you make the selection that won't play, but not picking up records? It would then be a contact block problem or the pins are not fully selecting.I've even found bent pins.
Since the selections are not from one letter or number group you will need to rebuild the pinbank. I dissasemble them and clean all contacts as well as the long traces on the 5 pin covers. I use tarnex on everything as well. If you have never taken one apart there is a trick to getting all 305 parts back together quickly.
See if the pin on the pinbank is moving when you make a selection that is not working and if not, move the correct pin back and forth by hand. If the pin does select, move the pin back and forth a few times and see if it then makes contact inside and selects the record. I'm guessing you have some of each problem. Good luck with them.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2012 11:41 am 

The system takes selection, uses and cancels credits but the pin no move. yes the others work, yes the carrage scans and plays as it should, cancels as it should...the only issue is press "A" then press 1 ..unit "takes" selection, but particular pin not move..play next song, or even b side of inop "A" side ..it move plays scan etc..
manually move said pin, plays and cancels..

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2012 1:06 pm 

The Seeburgs that I do I always rebuild the pinbank, make sure the wires to the group coils etc. are in good condition etc. I use amonia to clean the pins, springs etc. Make a note which direction the notches in the small square switch washers face. I use one of those 3M green pads to very lightly polish the electrical contact areas. Look for burned coils; do I ever hate changing those small coils! I use a small wood stick to help hold all the pins, springs in place while I assemble that group. There are different lengths of screws so i always write myself a note to be sure I get them in the correct place. The coils and wires can be checked for continuity. It is nice to have a couple spare pins, springs, washers etc. They often like to hide and disapear under or behind the workbench.

The first pinbank I did, I polished up all the contact areas with fine steel wool! What was I ever thinking?

I would also take a good look at the keyboard switches since manual operation (moving) of the pins cause the machine to perform exactly as it should (if I got it right). When I have trhe keyboard out I carefully protect the solenoid from moisture and then I spray a 50/50 concentration of 409 and sudsy amonia all over the slide switches etc. but avoid the solenoid. I operate each slide switch and spray some more. Watch out for the amonia, it is strong stuff! I use chemical gloves these days of old age. After I have played with it and I think it is clean I hose it off with water. I use low air pressure to blow the water and moisture out and then leave it sit in the Arizona sun until really dry (about 5 minutes this time of year). I lube the moving mechanical parts being careful not to get any lubricant on the slide switchws, solenoid plunger etc. I then adjust the blade switches etc. accoring to the manual if they need it. Usually they don't but I always check them. There are some adjustments for the solenoid plunger etc. too.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2012 11:04 pm 

I rebuilt the pin bank in my B once, never again.
I would try spraying some Caig DeOxit in it first.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2012 12:00 am 

ZEFFER1940 wrote:
The system takes selection, uses and cancels credits but the pin no move. yes the others work, yes the carrage scans and plays as it should, cancels as it should...the only issue is press "A" then press 1 ..unit "takes" selection, but particular pin not move..play next song, or even b side of inop "A" side ..it move plays scan etc..
manually move said pin, plays and cancels..

Yes...it sounds as if you need to rebuild the pinbank. You may get it working by spraying contact cleaner inside, while moving the pins back and forth with a slight downward pressure, but it won't be reliable.
You need to rebuild it to make the pins move freely and for the contacts to all make contact. I have a Seeburg R that is still selecting well that I rebuilt in the mid 1990's.
I use a business card folded into a "V" long ways to hold all the parts in place during assembly of each section. After the section is screwed together I slide out the card.
Good idea to clean the pushbutton selector assembly as Juke47 says above.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 1:59 pm 

ok, waited 7 years...gonna try again

Attachments:
292213_10150872431286260_661600860_n.jpg
292213_10150872431286260_661600860_n.jpg [ 392.15 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
285617_10150872429011260_1625751658_n.jpg
285617_10150872429011260_1625751658_n.jpg [ 342.74 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 8:09 pm 

That picture is all wrong, group contacts get cleaned from the top, but the pin contacts are cleaned from the bottom, you have to remove the rail and all the screws to remove the phenolic contact strips, I can't even imagine putting the pins in from the top! :shock:

If you are still having the problem of the pin not moving on random numbers intermittently, it can be from the pulse to the pin solenoid being too short. The manual has this to say: (It also tells you how to fix it but that's too involved to type here)

Short pulse from the credit and cancel unit
Excessive friction
Selection switches in electrical selector (keyboard) fail to make
Short pulse due to poor latching of the selector switches in keyboard
Keyboard snap switches close too soon

In other words, If the pin moves but the selection doesn't play it's a dirty pinbank, if the pin doesn't move at all it can be a lot of other things.