Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 2:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynavox record player that I almost airmailed
PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 5:39 am 

I really don't know the story behind Dynavox, except I've seen some that dated back to the '40's and I've seen others that were new enough to be solid state. What few I've actually had open looked to be very cheaply made, using cheap parts.

I went against my better judgement and bought this circa 1948 Dynavox 78-only player off of Ebay and it's a typical hot chassis single-stage amplified model. I dove into the amplifier that should have been an easy and quick overhaul. Then, I made it to the cathode of the output tube and this particular terminal had the cathode bypass electrolytic, the cathode bias resistor, and one of the the plate bypass capacitor connected to it. These parts were wrapped around the terminal very well and just as I was about to get the last lead unhooked, the terminal broke clean off of the socket. That's what I get for trying to make a neat repair, instead of simply "J-hooking" the new parts in place. I'll eventually get around to replacing the socket; but, I'm not happy about it.

Attachments:
dynavox 001.JPG
dynavox 001.JPG [ 707.22 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
dynavox 002.JPG
dynavox 002.JPG [ 886.3 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]