Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 15, 2019 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Webcor console stereo platter problem
PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 4:32 pm 

I purchased a Webcor T184-17C unit about three years ago. I had the turntable refurbished about 3 years ago - new idler, lubing, gear replacement, etc. The work was done by FYLP in NY state. I use the record player lightly and it has worked well until recently.

The platter makes a grinding sound as it spins. I cannot see where it is rubbing against the plinth - it doesn't appear to be hitting the plinth at all but yet there is the grinding sound. I have a video of the problem but it is too large to upload on this forum so I'm attaching a pic of the platter. The brownish red on the platter is because I removed the rubber topping that adheres to the platter.

I suppose I should first remove the platter and take a look under it. I'm not clear as to how this is done so any suggestions regarding removing the platter or any ideas as to what is happening with the unit would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Attachments:
top of turntable.JPG
top of turntable.JPG [ 107.03 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Post subject: Re: Webcor console stereo platter problem
PostPosted: Jul Fri 12, 2019 10:51 pm 

did the ones who restored it replace the drive wheel and motor mounts?

PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 9:06 pm 

If the drive wheel on those Webcors has not been rebuilt, they get hard and make a lot of noise. Even if the wheel was replaced with a new-old-stock wheel it won't work long. The old "rubber" needs to be removed and new rubber applied. Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com does this.

I have some new old stock Webcor wheels from GC and Walsco, still in the original package, that are hard as a rock and unusable unless rebuilt.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 14, 2019 3:20 pm 

Thanks for the info guys.
Pretty sure that the folks who worked on the stereo replaced the drive wheel. Not sure about motor mounts but will check.
Stereo was working fine for about three years with light usage. The "grinding/scraping" problem appeared out of nowhere. I removed the platter yesterday and when I turn on the tt without the platter, there is no grinding. I figure it's something with the bottom of the platter scraping against the plinth.
As a side note when I figured out how to get the retaining clip off the platter, it flew off my screwdriver and is now somewhere inside the unit.....Murphy's law....
Anyway, here's a link to a video I posted on you tube whic shows the problem.

https://youtu.be/CoFgoiaP3X0

Thanks again in advance.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 5:41 pm 

I was able to remove the platter and look at the plinth underneath. I didn't see anything unusual and, as I stated in my previous post, the scraping/grinding is not evident when the platter is removed.

I appreciate any feedback that anyone may have.

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 10:30 pm 

You should probably still replace the motor mounts. Touch the drive wheel with your thumbnail, if it gives a little, it's good, it if doesn't, then it needs to be replaced. Also verify the the bearing stack on the very bottom of the turntable is done properly.

I"m still leaning toward the original restorer did not replace the drive wheel.

If the turntable is sitting properly and spins quietly without the motor engaged and the tonearm at rest, the ONLY thing that can cause scraping noises is the drive wheel and the condition of the motor mounts, followed by bad bearings on the motor.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 23, 2019 1:47 pm 

What about the possibility that the mechanism gear isn't parking properly at end of cycle and a tooth is grinding against the platter gear? I've certainly seen this happen, though I don't recall it on a Webcor. (It's been years since I worked on a Webcor, but I recall that they could be a major PITA.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 23, 2019 4:14 pm 

I tried to upload copies of the invoices that show the work I had done but my pics do not fit the format for uploading on this site. A brief summary of what work was done is as follows:

Dec. 2016
Drive idler checked out ok - cleaned up
Motor mounts checked and ok
Serviced motor bearings
Unit cleaned up and lubed
Main gear trip lever replaced
Main Gear replaced
Bent levers and misalignment issues corrected on changer
New cartridge
Tone arm aligned
Jan. 2017
Replaced drive idler - flutter clocked at 1.8 flutter

The unit has less than 100 hours on it since repairs.

Yesterday I discovered that if I push the spindle in the 1 o'clock direction the scraping stops. I did this a few times and for a time the scraping disappeared both with the motor running and with the motor not running. I played a record and it sounded fine. I tried again a few hours later and the scraping was back. Again, I pushed the spindle and the scraping stopped. I looked for a spindle adjustment screw at the base of the spindle but there is none. I am afraid to push the spindle too hard because I don't want to bend it permanently.

The problem appears to be somewhat intermittent and the only way I can stop the scraping is to push rather forcefully on the spindle.

I am a novice so at this point I'm at a loss for what to do except for removing the record player and shipping it out for repair. Again, suggestions are more than welcome so that I can avoid dismantling/shipping the player.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 1:22 pm 

Once more, replace the motor mounts, these can compress and shift the shaft off center. Then remove the motor, disassemble, clean the bearings, relubricate and reassemble.

All rubber components MUST BE REPLACED. It does not matter if they were good 5 years ago. They will eventually fail and cause problems.

On removing the changer.

Pull the unit out from the wall and remove the back. You see three wires going to the changer, unplug these, taking a picture first so you can put them back. Then there should be two clips on opposite sides of the changer, they should flip up, and you can then pull the changer straight up.

If you're unsure, please post pics and we can help you.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 6:30 pm 

Thanks again.

I removed the changer when I had it serviced so I think I can do that again. I will be in touch if I have any problems with that operation.

Does anyone know a person who is reputable/knowledgeable in the Boston Ma. area? The folks who did the work I outlined in my previous email are in NY and I am hoping that there may be someone closer to me that I could trust.