Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 12:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox
PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 9:06 pm 

Howdy y'all,

I'm new here, so I apologize in adavance if I'm doing this wrong, but my great-grandmother has recently passed and I came up on what I assume to be a 1960's Magnavox record player.

I tried just googling the serial number to find some results but came up empty, so, here I am, asking the pros...

I have a video of the cabinet as well as a picture of the serial, etc. Is there somewhere or way I can share those and get y'all's opinion on the year and maybe the worth of this thing?

The paper tag on the back reads:

Model: 1P3745

Finish: PECN

Serial Number: 3075645

Watts: 35

Run # 1

Magnavox Company - Fort Wayne, Indiana 46803

Post subject: Re: Magnavox
PostPosted: Jul Sun 14, 2019 5:37 am 

Without seeing it, Magnavox cranked out a massive number of home console stereos in the '50's thru '70's...and many are now showing up in thrift/antique stores now as that generation fades. I've passed up a few of these in the last 6 months. It might be somewhat more desirable if it's a tube model. Chances are, unless yours is a really rare top of the line model...figure on $50 non-working, maybe $125 working and excellent cosmetic one for an 'end of the rainbow' buyer. Post a video on YouTube and link to it if you can't post pics here... or use a picture posting site like Imgur.

Last edited by Tbirdkid on Jul Mon 15, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 14, 2019 1:02 pm 

the current draw (watts) points to Solid State.

You can take pictures and hosts them on say, tinypic.com

PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 1:46 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Here are some pictures? Your set? You need to remove the back and get the chassis numbers and changer numbers for reference.

Bill J.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214742

PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 12:20 pm 

The 1P3745 dates to 1969. PECN is a pecan cabinet. 4 speakers and rated at 30 watts output. Post a photo to show condition but generally those late 60's SS angled front units are lucky to fetch $25-50 if they sell at all.

Attachment:
3745-1.jpg
3745-1.jpg [ 342.69 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 6:37 pm 

All the serious Maggie collectors claim the consoles with 6 knobs are the high power and most desirable sets...., mine have always had 5 knobs , but they still sounded good...

PostPosted: Aug Sun 18, 2019 4:30 am 

I had this beast of a thing. it sounded wonderful with amazing power.

it could blow the windows out of the shop, without a doubt.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=341478&p=2863741#p2863741

the project had a sad ending.

steve

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 5:54 pm 

A friend has this unit, service tag says, "Model Number 1P3745, Pecan cabinet, Run Number 1." I need a schematic. Doesn't show up in Sam's index. Don't know where else to look???

Someone said I have to remove the back and get chassis numbers for service data. How does that work? Anybody know how to find a schematic for these things?

My friend got it new, and they used it for years. They said at some point it stopped working. Someone cut the plug off of it from fear of fire. Too long ago and no one quiet recalls the details. His 75th birthday is coming up and I told him I would see if I could get it going again. I can try to wing it without a schematic but I hate to do that.

Is it a tube set? They thought it was but I haven't had the back off so I'm uncertain.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Maybe a more common model number is the same basic tuner/amp???

Thanks
Tomie

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 6:29 pm 

From this site, https://www.retrothing.com/2008/09/furnishing-the.html and a post from 10 years ago, a user named Gerry said, "You need at least a model number, which may or may not produce results in Google. Most info on Magnavox stereos and phonos are referenced by the chassis number, often found on a paper sticker inside and also stenciled onto the chassis."
Down the page a bit Matt said, "There is no such thing as an "Astrosonic" with "tubes".
In 1965 the "astrosonic" stereos used all transistor circuitry."

I don't like to work on transistors but I can. But with this additional information I clarify my question, how does one use the chassis numbers to find a schematic? Is there an archive that lists that data?

Larry, I think you also said I need chassis numbers?

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 8:36 pm 

The model number of the chassis should be on a sticker with black printing. It may start with an "R". You will use the chassis model number to reference in a Sams Photofact index. The model number of the instrument that you referenced is worthless for the most part. You have a solid state instrument. I would suggest you clean the external speaker switch if it has one and the other controls before you get too deep into it. You may still have bad caps and that, but you won't be chasing your tail with dirty controls. The tube Magnavox stereos are more "desirable" as far as monetary value is concerned. You can still have fun with a solid state model. Anything Magnavox is far better than most of their peers and anything built today. Good luck.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 10:02 pm 

If you find the chassis number you can see if there are any docs on the Vintage Hi-Fi website. You have to join but it's free.

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php

Larry

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 10:31 pm 

I’ve worked on a couple of Magnavox’s and you can find Sams for their tube models, but there’s not much out there on the transistor console models. Up north George Allen was our Magnavox Dealer and has helped me on my 2 problems. Around the mid 60’s they went to transistors. Soon after that they went to Plug & Play modules. George said they did send him a schematic, but frowned on any service done on the modules. They wanted the defective module, replaced and sent back to the factory. George said he doesn’t remember seeing any Sams for these consoles. It completely changed how he serviced the new models. It also reduced hand soldering by 80%. The modules went through solder baths and because it was a new concept, Magnavox had a few problems with some of the modules along with a lot of other manufactures starting this new procedure. My problem was loosing the right channel on FM. George told me to reflow the MPX board and it’s still working great today. Pull off the back and see what you have to deal with. Not to chase you away, but there is a Magnavox Forum out there and they’re very helpful.
Here are some pictures that I found inside mine.
Attachment:
Mag Console.jpg
Mag Console.jpg [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Attachment:
Amp.jpg
Amp.jpg [ 287.66 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Attachment:
Bottom View.jpg
Bottom View.jpg [ 283.83 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Attachment:
Tech Sheet.JPG
Tech Sheet.JPG [ 207.44 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

IMO You will not find a better sounding console then a Magnavox.
Freeman

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2019 5:54 pm 

Thanks everyone,
I've got a much better idea of what I'm up against now.

A tornado went through Dallas last night and destroyed a swath within about 3 or 4 blocks of where this radio lives. It blew hard here, about 30 miles north, and later we did get some rain. But no twisters. I'm happy to say Ray is fine, but they have no electricity. The very old strip mall where I got my hair cut on Saturday is a pile of rubble. I feel bad for Rosie, she worked so hard in that place and always did a good job cutting my hair.
Anyway, I have a doctor's appointment down there tomorrow morning and I was going to swing by and get that console on the way back, but given what they have just gone through I don't know if they will want to do that now. When I finally get it here I'll share pictures and update on what I find.

Tomie