Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 10, 2020 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox changer slow to get up to speed
PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2019 5:00 pm 

I have a collaro record changer that I have gone thru and cleaned , and re-lubed the mech.. I even put in a new idler wheel even thought the original seemed fine.. the motor mount bushings were still nice and pliable ... the only thing I did not do was tear the motor apart...and I saw no ports to oil it... the changer takes about 30 seconds to get up to speed until then , the wow and flutter is horrible , but once it gets up to speed it is near perfect around 33.5.... is this motor able to be disassembled and re oiled on these collaros? never tried on one of these before...I can't think of anything else that could be the culprit...
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Magnavox changer slow to get up to speed
PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2019 7:35 pm 

You know we need some photos and/or a model #
for the Collaro. [ : )

The answer is yes, the motors are to be dis-assembled,
cleaned, lubed with Zoomspout, and should function well.

That British lube definitely gunks up, and when there is
enough friction heat generated from the rotor, the
gunk loses viscosity and the speed increases to normal.

Waiting for photos and model #.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 1:27 am 

The model stamped on the bottom says 620, and it is the grey turntable that looks like the later 801 models and what is zoomspout?... I normally use singer sewing machine oil with good results.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 10, 2019 1:02 am 

I don't know what type of motor that your changer uses, but with a shaded pole motor, a drop or two of Singer sewing machine oil on the bearings would more than suffice. In fact, I never had to tear down a shaded pole motor to any of my record changers yet. My guess is that you have a problem other than the motor, but there is a good way to check though. Use care, but lightly grasp the motor shaft after power up with two fingers, and see if it has a reasonable amount of torque at that point.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 19, 2019 2:36 pm 

Magnavox shaded pole motors are notorious for this problem. I now make it normal practice to take them all apart, clean the shaft Wells with 91% rubbing alcohol and re lube with Zoom Spout machine oil. This works every time. The original oil does indeed gum up, creating drag until the motor becomes warm enough to reduce the viscosity. Zoom Spout will set you back a grand total of less than 3 dollars. I get mine at Ace Hardware.